Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between passive and active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Getserious, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Getserious

Getserious

Jan 21, 2005
    things i should know about active pickups just got my first bass

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Beware of leaving your lead/chord plugged into the bass. On many active basses, this activates the circuit. This happens whether or not you are plugged into an amp - so will drain your battery while you're not playing!

Best tip I can think of just now! :)

3. If the bass starts to fuzz or get really muddy, replace the battery. Usually a 9V that you can get to by opening the plate on the back. This will happen every couple of moths or even after maybe a year... depending on the bass (for say, two Ibanez' of the same model can run down a battery at different rates) aswell as how much you play.

Good choice on the active, I have both passive and active and my main basses are active.

hope you enjoy

4. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Is there any difference in the pickups between active and passive?
    I have an active Westone and am thinking about defretting it, would I need specific pickups? The ones that are on it are a bit rubbish as it is!

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Honestly dude, there's a lot of information right here about it. It's all just hidden under that button that says "Search" on it. But to answer...
    You're getting into active electronics vs active pickups - make sure you know which is which.
    There are worlds of differences between active and passive pickups. The first and fore most is obviously active takes a 9V battery, and are generally "hotter" pickups (I say that loosely).
    But again, I'll leave it at that and stress the use of the search feature...

Ray

6. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Sorry, I had been searching but obviously not well enough. I'll make sure and get the active ones. Thanks mate

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    No need to apologize :) 's all cool. If you can, before buying, try basses with each and see which ones sound better to your ears. When trying them, try to pick basses that are as similar to yorus as possible, that way you also know how they'll prolly sound in your bass.
    For myself, I like passive pickups with an active pre. That may change, that may stay the same, I dunno. Go with what suits you :)

Ray

8. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I thought pickups were all the same, but the 9v battery made the pickup "hotter". Is that not right? Will an "active" pickup not work at all without power? Hmmm...I've got to rethink my next project... :(

9. an active pickup (emgs [non-hz] for example) will NOT work without a battery, as they have an integrated buffer preamp.

if you want a bass with an active/passive switch you will have to use passive pickups combined with active electronics and a switch

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Like I said, this discussion can (and already has to a point) turn into active pickups vs active electronics , two comepletly different subjects! If I had to choose one route, I'd go active pre, passive pickups, that way I don't need to worry about a battery. But, if you disable the active pre, you lose whatever "hotness" you'd gain from the 9V, as you'd be totally passive at that point.

Ray

11. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    Whew. That's what I was talking about. The main thing I didn't know is that there were specific pups that ONLY worked with a battery. That's good info...thanks.

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Aside from the battery issue, isn't the main difference between active and passive pickups impedence? For example, EMG-HZs are passive as indicated by the HZ.....high impedence. While standard EMGs are active......less restriction of current flow, (low impedence) from the instrument to the amp. Not exactly positive but this is the way I always understood it.