difference between Precision '51 and Sting signature fenders??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shomy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. is there any real difference? i mean they look the same, their prices are same. i tried sting bass, i liked the sound. is it any different from '51 P bass? they are from the same wood, have the same pickup. is this a joke i'm not getting? the only difference is in the 12th fret inlay with Stings signature
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Shomy -

I may not get this perfectly right but I'm pretty sure I'm on track ...

The Sting bass is actually a 1954 model and the primary difference was in '54, Fender went to a contoured body (Belly cut and arm contour.)

The '51 is the slab body. Consequently it is heavier and (IMO) much more uncomfortable to play. I do happen to like the "School Bus Yellow" finish of the '51 better than the burst and if it were contoured, I'd be all over it!
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think you're right, Iota. I don't personally mind the slab body, but the bright f-in yellow finish is a bit off-putting.
  4. PJPJ

Jul 13, 2004
    I have a '51 reissue.

The other guys are right about the basic differences. I'll only add that the slab body doesn't bother me when playing finger style but juts into my forearm when I use a pick. I seldom use a pick so this isn't a big issue for me but if you do...

This is one of best sounding and most comfortable basses I've had. I was in a shop buying strings when I idly asked if I could try one out. I wasn't expecting much but I was blown away by the feel of the neck and the tone. I sold my MIM standard P (which I liked a lot) to buy one. It's now my main bass. Yummo!

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Just out of curiosity, what's the finish like on the neck? Is it more glossy, or satiny? I've played the Sting and the Dirnt, but haven't been able to get my hands on the 51.
  6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Guys -

This is from another thread. Is this a beautiful bass or WHAT???
  7. I also own a 51R.I..It looks just like the Sting bass minus the 12th fret sig inlay and contours. I bought this bass because the acoustic(un-plugged)tone blew me away,it was very Ric-like(which is a very good thing for me)..although I did replace that big white pick guard with a black one and IMO it looks way better..I have been thinking about replacing the bridge with the Fender 3hole string thru or a bad ass3. a great bass for the money...BTW Pennydreadful,the neck\fingerboard has a glossy finish just like the Sting..the bass is exactly like the Sting except like I noted above
  8. Yes it is !!! :bassist:

9. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I don't think the blonde 51 pbasses look that "yellow" in person.

I think they look nice. I prefer slab bodies but have a 54 style Blue Flower.

The CIJ's always have a more matte guard to me and are always less pigmented.

Isn't the Sting an alder bass as well?
  10. exactly the same happened to me. i'm seriously thinking about buying this one. the thing is that the dealer is charging more for the sting bass (although on-line the price is same), so i'll go with '51 P-bass. It's a keeper for sure. I like the vintage look and everything. only mod i'm going to do is a thumb rest closer to the bridge, cause action above the pup is to floppy for me.
  11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

The easy answer is 55 years.
  12. yeah, it's the obvious answer, but i am talkin' about '51 reissue. sorry for misunderstanding
  13. PJPJ

Jul 13, 2004
    I was thinking of getting a pickup cover for the looks as well
    as use as a thumb rest. The bridge cover looked as though it
    could prevent the kind of incidental palm muting I like to be able
    to do so that one was out. In the end I just got used to either floating the thumb around or using the method of resting the thumb on the lowest string I wasn't playing. I think the angle demanded by the slab body helps this a fair bit. On my last Pbass (a MIM standard) I just used the pup but the horror stories of the 51's pup disintegrating from use as a thumb rest discourage that practice a tad.

But yes, fine instrument for playability, sound and sheer looks.

The only thing I didn't like was the truss rod adjustment screw being at the body end of the neck. I eventually found an s-haped screwdriver that did the trick (the screw took a LOT of coaxing to loosen up -- ooh er, sounds a bit rude). Some people even recommend removing the neck to do it. Grrr. I think I could stand the historical incorrectness of access at the head end.