Difference between Red Tort and Brown Tort

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabbitfighter, Apr 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rabbitfighter

rabbitfighter

Jul 16, 2019
    Hi y’all,

I played this exact bass, ‘64 Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass 2011, at the Chicago Music Exchange this past summer. It’s been up for sale on Reverb since. Looks like since the last time I checked on the price, someone dropped it or dropped something on it and there is a big gouge by the bridge pickup. Call me vain but I would never pay anywhere near $2-3k for this thing now (not that I have that kind of dough, but I have considered saving up as I loved the sound and feel).

Fender Jazz Bass Faded Candy Apple Red 2011 | Chicago Music Exchange | Reverb

Anyways ... I am looking to replicate the look of this bass for cheaper. Can anyone tell me if this is a red tort pickguard or brown?

From what I have been seeing online, seems like this is the red ? But I can’t be 100% sure.

Thanks a million.

2. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Which gouge are you referring too? The thumb rash? EDIT: found another picture and it looks like someone try to add more "relic" to it?

The tort looks red to me.

3. rabbitfighter

rabbitfighter

Jul 16, 2019
    Does that seem like a thumb rash? Looks awful and accidental to me. This is 100% the bass I played in July of 2019 and I am 100% certain that mark was not there. Honestly it looks awful, I would not even have picked it up when I was there. Seems like more of an accident.

Besides the point, I guess—I’m just ranting. It does look like red tort as far as I have seen so far. Hard to tell sometimes online in stock type photos when pickguards are listed alone. Lighting affects everything.

Thank you.

4. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I looked it up and seems they did do a relic job on it, and even seized the original bridge... so wouldnt trust a luthier who damaged a part during a relic job.

Yeah def looks red. Good luck!

5. rabbitfighter

rabbitfighter

Jul 16, 2019
    this one is out of the runnings for me personally. Looking into 80s MIJ jazzes at the moment.

JeroB666 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021