Difference between Stagg and Gear4Music EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Ljuslykta, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Ljuslykta

Ljuslykta

Feb 2, 2018
    Hi.
    I'm thinking of buying an EUB, and have narrowed it down to either a Stagg or Gear4Music's own brand. From looking at the pictures and the documentation, it seems that the Gear4Music one is some kind of rebrand of the Stagg. However, I haven't been able to find any information if there is something that do differ between them, if the Gear4Music one is cheaper built (since it's about 150£ cheaper).
    Do any of you have any experience of what differs between them (if anything)?

/Pontus

2. I have no idea what the difference is, but I highly recommend the rosewood fingerboard instruments of that type even though they are more expensive.
    These finger boards can be dressed if needed (more often needed than not), the black paint ones don't look nice if you try that.

3. Ljuslykta

Ljuslykta

Feb 2, 2018
    Yeah, I've read that people recommend the rosewood neck. Unfortunately, here in Europe the supply of EUB is limited to say the least. I probably would have bought one with rosewood neck, but haven't found a retailer with that in stock.

4. It's not impossible to get a rosewood neck instrument in Europe but it might be hard to find. I got mine via EBay as a damaged instrument (without electronics except the pickup) from a German shop which sells only damaged articles. But that means that they have been available in Germany or Europe (at that time which is several years ago). It might be helpful to know the exact part number or model type to search for.

On the other hand they are getting more expensive, you might have a look at the cheapest model of the Italian EUB (MK ...). It is better than a good Stagg and would get a better setup out of the box. A bit more expensive, but worth the money as far as I have read. (I missed to try one at the bass convention in Almere some years ago but they looked very good.)

5. Ljuslykta

Ljuslykta

Feb 2, 2018
    Have the deluxe model addressed concerns people have in the megathread with uneven necks, string buzzing and poorly shielded electronics, or is the deluxe more that the instrument is a bit more sturdy and with a rosewood neck?

6. My rosewood neck Stagg was even worse than my painted neck Staggs (inverse camber), but I could shape the neck to a nice camber by scraping off the wood in the middle of the fingerboard.
    But mine was the worst out of several parts, missing tuners and electronics. But I got it really cheap, less than the difference between a standard and deluxe model.

None of my three Staggs has a good neck, the bridge is is made for equal string height (to reshape that you need to remove the black paint at the grooves and hopefully limited to that).
    One painted neck is completely straight and the strings rattle a lot (unless you play it as softly as an electric bass guitar), the other one is acceptable with a bit lighter touch. The rosewood one is shaped similarly (I did't want to go too far, but needs a bit more on the bass side), but I prefer playing that one since it is an oiled wood surface now like a real double bass.
    I'm not a slapper, but since the rosewood is softer than the black standard black epoxy surface the klick is much nicer when slapping.

The MK instruments are clearly better than any Stagg but haven't been available at the time when I bought my Staggs.