Difference between Stingray 5 and GL 2500 (five string)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxoges, Sep 26, 2000.

1. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Which one to go for? Which one is best? Pros and cons?
  2. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    Yeah, I second that question. I've got a StringRay5 and I'm going to get a 2500, but I'd love to hear some comparisons/contrasts from current G&L owners.

3. I'm not especially familiar with the subtleties of the Stringray but I am a great fan of my L-2500.

Nobody can argue that the Stingray doesn't have a great tone, but the G&L has quite a huge range of colours. With the many switch combinations you can have very dark tones, midrangey, plus very bright tones. In fact, you can get many of these at he same time: lots of bottom and lots of top...or throw it into series mode and add more midrange.

I think the important thing about the L-2500 and the four string counterpart, the L-2000, is to remember to adjust your your amp's volume when changing settings on the bass. For example, the passive/parallel mode actually is a very nice punchy tone (much like a Jazz Bass), but compared side by side to the active/series setting it can sound quite small. Just turn the amp up a bit for this setting. BTW, even the quietest setting on the G&L is twice as loud as a passive Fender.

The number of very useful and tasty tones available is amazing. And remember not to try and compare the G&L and Stringray too closely, since they really are very different from each other despite the superficial similarities.
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ive owned a G&L 1505 and and still have a stingray(4 string) the tones are alot different!! I couldnt dial in the Stingray sound with the G&L but it is versatile. Also the feel of the bass was alot different. I prefered the Singrays feel. The G&L was very nice but not my style.
  5. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Ive owned 4 5-string rays,and the very first L-2500 Custom.
    The neck feel and shape was almost identical(similar to Fender)I found the G+L was better made,but has worse re-sale.The Stingray(I have been a Pre-ernie fan for years)had an excellent tone but was nowhere near as versatile as the L-2500.I prefer the frets on the Stingray,although they are not small,the ones on the L-2500 Are very large.If it was going to be my only bass I would buy the L-2500,no doubt.I have some very collectible G+Ls and Musicmans,so I like both and am not biased either way
  6. I have owned both, and the Ray is my fave, by a long way. Sure, the 2500 has lots of tones, but I can come close with the 5 tone controls on the outer extremity of my right arm! The Ray has far superior build quality, nearly every G&L I've seen has uneven fretwork, and I work in a music instrument shop, so I see heaps. Also the MM has way superoir B string, the 2500 seems flappy and requires a higher action on the B to get a reasonable tone. Also, the G&L's have these filler plugs in several places, where the factory has drilled holes for whatever purpose, and then filled them, but they stand out badly. Even cheap Asian basses dont have this bad feature! My MM has superb neck and fretwork, the tightest neck joint, and lots of tiny but wonderful features, such as, if you take the pickguard off, you'll see all the screw holes have chamfered edges to prevent the possibility of the finish cracking. You wont find attention to detail like that on a G&L!
  7. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Your talking about the three dots on the BACK of the bass.
    One on the headstock and two on the body.Im suprised someone so knowledgeable didnt know the three spots are where the instrument is held by the "jig" that moves it down the assembly line.
    As far as neck joints in paticular go I find the brands to be very similar in tightness.
    I currently own three G+L basses and have had about 20 others over the years.Ive also owned at least 20 G+L guitars from F-100s to Broadcasters to one off prototypes.None have ever needed fretwork.
    The only G+L products(guitars also)that werent quite up to snuff,were made in the early 90s,by a shop crew that has been replaced by the original crew a long time ago.
  8. No, just pre-CBS Fenders. Check the oldest classic Fenders and you'll find these same filler plugs. You don't ever hear anyone complaining about them on an old Fender. That's just the way Leo did things.

Again, I don't see why everyone decides to compare the G&L directly to the Stingray. They were never meant to sound the same. There's a reason you can't quite get the Stingray tone from the G&L - it was never supposed to reproduce it. It does have tons of other great sounds though, including much more classic "vintage" type tones.
  9. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Guys Guys Guys!!! I have never played a G&L bass. I looked similar to my stingray 5, with one extra humbucker of course. I just wanted to know what it sounded like.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both, a one-of-a-kind '99 Ernie Ball employee 'Ray 5 and a '99 blueburst L2500. In a nutshell, the G&L is more versatile and a bit heavier, the MM has a sound the G&L can't get, that signature punchy 'Ray thang. They're the only two 5's I own. Everybody should have both!