Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between StringRay and Sterling? piezo?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Ok well im going to probably get a 4-string StringRay 3eq...anyway i was wondering the difference between that in the sterling? I was going to get a sterling, but i played a stingray at guitar center and fell in love. i also am not familiar with a piezo pick-up (at least i think its a pick-up)...can anyone explain how it sounds or what style its good for? (i play with my fingers usually metal) Thank you all for your help! :help:

2. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    sting ray has a precision style neck but the sterling's is jazz style. and sterling features a smaller body than sting ray.
    sterling has a 3-way switch for the pick-up as same as sting ray5.
    if you want a ebmm bass, sting ray,sting ray5 or sterling, you can choose one with or without piezo each of the models. and sting ray could be chose with 2band eq for a classic feeling and tone.
    hope it maybe help you

3. thank you! what does the piezo sound like though?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Like an acoustic bass. A bit twangy and nasal, but it's not often used by itself. On a piezo equipped Sterling or Stingray, you have five knobs: volume; treble; mid; bass; blend. The last knob blends in the piezo sound with the signal from the standard magnetic pickup. Pretty versatile.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yes, and no. My piezos don't sound nasal or twangy, at all. As long as you have an input with a high enough impedance, you'll get a nice, full sound. I run my bass through a Fishman Pro Bass II before it hits my Mesa Walkabout.

Here are two mp3s of my Bongo piezos soloed.

This one is flat:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/Piezo_flat.mp3

And, this one has the Bogno 4 band EQ tweaked a bit:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/Piezo_EQd.mp3

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Hey, I stand corrected! :) God only knows what I was doing wrong when I last played a SR with piezos

Nice sound... what strings are on that Bongo?