Difference Between SUB and Stingray??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 11, 2005.

1. I realize the paintjobs are different which would make the SUB cheaper to make, but with how much cheaper they are there has to be more. What makes the SUB so much cheaper than the Stingray? I am looking at getting a SUB 5er because i love the finish and pickguard and i can get the 4 string Stingray pickguard in 5 strings which you cant do with the real Stingray models. I guess im just wondering what the actual differences are in them. I am not buying another OLP am I? haha
  2. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I don't have the answer, but I'm curious as well, anybody know?
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In my opinion, the SUB 4 is pretty close to a Stingray 4. The SR5 and SUB 5 are very different electronically. The SR5 has a coil splitting switch and a three band eq. The SUB has no coil splitter and a two band eq. The SUB Sterling has a three band eq but no coil splitter while the standard Sterling has the coil splitter switch. Passive SUB 4s have a two band eq but no battery.

The SUB 5 has a less subtle tone that the SR5. The SUB 5 has the Stingray high end or "ping" and plenty of bottom, the SR5 has much ability to shape mid frequencies. The SUB 5 is basically good for a Stingray style slap tone or grindy rock tone plus it can yield a more Precision styled round tone with the treble rolled back.
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Poplar body, no contours, less expensive finishing, less expensive electronics. Good bass.
  5. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    dllyod pretty much nails it. These are high-quality, american made instruments here folks. The pickups are the same thing as are in all Stingrays, and the preamp is the same as the two-band Stingray, which many people feel is superior to the 3-band. The difference is in the frills.

If you want the sound of a real Stingray but with 5 stings, get the SUB 5--it's much closer to a regular ray than the SR5. The SR5 is basically a Sterling (not that that's a bad thing).
  6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It's not quite the same preamp, the components are slightly different. It's still one hell of a bass though.
  7. Awesome, that answers my question.
    Thank you much guys,
  8. artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    the pick-up and preamp of s.u.b are not as same as sting ray. only the same look...
  9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Don't forget that the SUB has a slab body and the Stingray has a contoured body. That was my biggest complaint with it. The SUB's body edge cut into my right forearm when I played.
  10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    The pickups are identical.