1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between SUB Ray4 and Sterling Ray24?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackn1202, Nov 29, 2018.

1. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    What's the differences between these two? They're the same price at Guitar Center, and as far as I can tell they're identical. However, before I make any decisions, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. Is there any difference between these two basses?

Only thing I can find is the bridge.
    SUB Ray4. SUB Ray4

Sterling Ray24
    sterling-ray-24.

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    The SUB Ray 4 is the Sterling by Music Man entry level bass, that is based off of the Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray bass. It has a MAP price starting at $299.99 up to $329.99 for the 5 string version.

The Ray 24 is the Sterling by Music Man’s version of an Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Classic. It has a MAP price starting out at $499.99 and goes up to $549.99 for the 5 string version.

The 2 instruments are actually very different. The SUB series is all entry level stuff. The bridge is the only noticeable difference, yes. But the tuning keys, pickups and pre amps are also much better on the Ray 24.

And then on the Ray 34 and 35, they are Sterling by Music Man’s upgraded version of an Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray (Not to be confused with the new Stingrays that just came out in 2018. I think they call them the Stingray Next Gen or something? It’s very confusing for new people not in the know, that’s for sure.) The Ray 34 and 35’s range in price from $699.99 to $899.99 but with EBMM now selling every instrument they make at $2,000.00 or more, they are now selling their basses for more than they are worth. Especially when the used market is $800.00 to $1,200.00 for their mass produced basses. A Sterling by Music Man will only depreciate a couple of hundred dollars max, as opposed to $1,000.00 minimum from the American made stuff.

The quality of the SBMM basses are really good. Given the choice that you are looking at, I would personally go with the Ray 24. I have a Ray 34 Koa at my house as well as several Ernie Ball Music Man basses and the instruments feel, sound and play the same.

I hope that helps.

safikex, Oatis and Nebula24 like this.
  3. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the good information! One thing though, I've seen the Ray24 in Guitar Center for $299, unless I'm mistaken. Also, when I looked it up on GC.com, it said $299. Is this a fluke or are they just priced down now for some reason?

Bassist Jay likes this.
  4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I believe you mean Ray4.
    The new Sterling by MM series are called:

Ray4 and Ray5 - replacement for the SUB series. 2 band active like SUBs, much nicer looking logo. Ceramic pups.

Ray24CA and Ray25CA - budget Stingray Classic (cheaper than the previous, discontinued Ray34CA and Ray35CA). 2 band preamp, slab body, Alnico pups.

Ray34 and Ray35 - like the previous versions. 3 band active.

All of the new ones now sport "Stingray" on the headstock.

BASSES

Crusher47 and jackn1202 like this.
  5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    If it really is Ray24CA (that's the actual model name), go for it! I'd always go for the 2 band version of the Stingray rather than 3 band.

6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    If that is true then grab one, you can't go wrong...

mouthmw likes this.
  7. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Dang, tell you what, I bet it was a Ray4 then. I'll probably go for the 4 or the 24, it's up to how much I can get for my P Bass.

Bassist Jay and mouthmw like this.
  8. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I played a few Sub series Ray 4 and Ray 5 basses and thought they were decent for entry level but if you compare them to a Ray 24 or Ray 25, you won’t even think about the Sub series. A Ray 24 or Ray 25, has good enough quality to last you for life. The Sub Ray 4 or Ray 5 will leave you wanting to upgrade very soon. I would actually take an entry level Squier Precision bass over them.

mouthmw likes this.