1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference between the Berg ht210 & hs210 4 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASSKADET, Apr 30, 2009.

1. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    What are the differences between the two.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There is no HS210 4ohm, only 8.

The original HT210 was a very large, heavy 210 with a large PA type horn. It was very deep, wide, smooth and hi fi sounding.

The current HS210 is a small 210 that is very tight in the low end, voiced to the mids, and has a traditional small tweeter.

There was a transitional cab that Jim produced between these two products that was the small size of the HS210, but with the deeper voiced drivers and PA type horn of the HT210 called the HT210s, and a few of those were made in custom 4ohm configuration.

I prefer the AE210 to any 210 Jim has made to this point IMO.... a little wider and deeper than the HS210 (and lighter), but with MUCH more punch and 'clarity' than the original HT210.

3. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Thanks Ken,
    If you remember you turned me on to the one Tom B. had. I looked on the back It's 4 ohm and just says 210. It does have the horn. It's about 12" deep.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yes, that is the HT210s, and is a rare 4ohm model. It is basically the top half of the HT322, and is designed to go with the EX112s or HT122s to make up what most call the Bergantino 's' stack, which is a modular HT322. Jim made some 4ohm models to see if that cab would serve as a small stand-alone 210 for players like me who look for the maximum volume out of a single small cab.

It's a great little 210, and has a unique tone due to that really huge PA type horn and those reasonable high xmax speakers. It's big down low and crystal clear up top.

The HS210 (only available in 8ohms) is more punchy and warm, and again, the AE210 (also 8ohms only) sits a bit between the two (i.e., more low end extension than the HS210, but a bit more punchy and aggressive in the upper mids than the very pure HT210s). Given that the SPL is higher on the HS and AE, the 8ohm HS and AE210's should put out about the same volume as the 4ohm HT210s, if you decide you want a more punchy, tight tone, but want to stay with Bergantino.

5. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Thanks for the info. Ken

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Looks like Ken has ya covered.

Man, this magazine has totally turned me into a TalkBass slacker. ;)

7. BASSKADET

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Tom, Have you tried the Berg 412?

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, indeed I have. It is, not surprisingly, a most excellent cab. It falls between the 610 and 215, and I like it a lot. I probably still slightly prefer my 215, but the 412 is awfully high up on my list, too. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: