1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between the Boss bass syb-3 and syb-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RobJeff3, Sep 11, 2008.

1. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    Anyone know if the there is a big difference between the two?

Thanks

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Hey bro! There was a thread about this not to long ago so this link should answer your questions.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342210&highlight=SYB3+SYB5

Personally, I love my SYB-3. Haven't tried the 5 but I hear its tracking is hit or miss. The SYB-3 IMO isnt bad tracking.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I just bought a "3" from the classifieds based on a review somewhere that described it as more "analog" than the "5." Also: pretty cheap. I guess I won't know for a few days, although I guess it didn't thrill the guy who sold it to me.

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    It may sound more analog, but the circuitry is def. digital. I can make it sound like an analog synth(to an extent) but it can range the gambit to crazy tripping out fuzz saw wave sound. IME of course :) This is actually one of my most used pedals on my board.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  6. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yup, I knew what you meant. I just wanted to clarify that it is not an analog pedal(someone suggested that not to long ago.) But you can make it sound analogish. :)

7. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    Thanks for the link to the previous thread. I was really wondering if the syb-5 had was really that updated and sounded better than the older one. I know Mike Gordon used a syb-3. I sold my akai deep impact when it was worth $300.00 and need some killer synth sounds.

Thanks

P.S.- I just found the search function

8. T-bolt

T-bolt

Mar 29, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm with the SYB-3 sounds better camp. Seemed to me like it had warmer tones, and the tracking (while still abysmal) was better in that it didn't sound as bad when it mis-tracked.

9. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    No worries bro, I saw you were somewhat new, so I thought the link would help.:)

10. syb 5 is garbage

11. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Any reasons for that? Sound bad? etc.

12. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Look up user Kulten on youtube - my replies 17 & 19 in the thread linked above have some useful info & sounds from him.

c-

13. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    you tube is a source that I never think about when checking out effects. Thanks. The more and more I look at these the more and more I think I should get something different. Does anyone think better of any of the other synth pedals out there?

I need something that will give my bass sounds like a keyboard would have.

14. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    You might be happier with a analog pedal, like the Bass Microsynth from EHX.

15. RobJeff3

RobJeff3

Mar 4, 2008
    Camarillo, CA
    You know that never crossed my mind. I had one from the early 80's that was stolen along with a loaded pedal board that would make most cry. The new XO version looks smaller too.

Thanks!

16. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    No prob, glad to help. The XO is also true bypass I believe. Honestly, I'm not a big believe that it improves your tone, but it makes thing easier IMHO. :)

17. The number ?

:bag: