1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between the Geddy Lee neck and the American Standard Jazz neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LotusCarsLtd52, Apr 19, 2010.

1. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    The Geddy Lee is listed as having a "thin C shape neck" and the American Standard as having a "modern C shape neck". How do they compare? I've tried both but at different times and can't compare the two in my mind nor remember how each individually felt.

2. well the geddy is far more thinner and shaped than the american standard,a little too much for me,but if u like a fast jazz neck its a killer bass

3. The Geddy neck is more shallow. The neck feels more flat when playing as opposed to the modern. I tried both the Geddy and the MIA and chose the MIA. The Geddy is a great bass, but for someone with larger hands liike myself, it was just too thin. I believe that the width at the nut is the same though.

4. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    I'm used to using thin Ibanez necks...how would the Geddy Lee compare?

5. You would just have to try it out and see how it feels to you. To me it almost felt like I was playing on a somewhat thick fingerboard as opposed to an actual neck, but like I said, my hands are on the larger side, so for me it just was not the right instrument, but so many others love just that about the Geddy, the neck thinness. I would try it out to be sure. I haven't played any Ibanez gear in a long time, but if memory serves, I would liken the Ibanez neck to be more akin to the modern Jazz neck.

6. geddy feels "wider" i think the ibanez 4 string SR basses have a small nut, so as compared to them geddy feels bigger. a bit thicker but not too much

7. Remember, the nut width is the same, the real difference is in the curvature of the back of the neck, that is what makes it feel "thinner". I recall the Ibanez necks to be thin at the nut (not really sure if any thinner than the modern neck), but the Ibanez necks are more curved whereas the Geddy neck is not. I am sure there are many Geddy owners out in TB land who will chime in with a more educated description than I can give. Listen to what they have to say as it will give you an even better perspective.

8. LotusCarsLtd52

LotusCarsLtd52

Dec 6, 2009
    So the Geddy Lee neck tends to be flatter in back than the Ibanez? I play an SR by the way if that helps.

9. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I think your best bet is to just go play one. I dont own any SR's but i have owned them before. The Geddy Lee is a very practical jazz. Just dont trust the set-ups you will find in GC. That will make it seem like a horrible bass, when in fact set up right fenders are some of the best out there.

10. The ibanez necks although slightly thinner in terms of nut width have a nice rounded back profile, if you forget the nut differences and magine this profile but sanded down to make a shallower curve you've just about got the Geddy Lee jazz, feels very flat but very very fast too, almost feels slightly wider than a ajzz neck because of the flatness but it's indeed very thin interms of depth and is normal jazz dimensions otherwise IIRC.

Felt great to play, and sounded really snappy and bright, wish I could afford one.

11. Exactly.