Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between the Marcus Miller jazz 4 and 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Mar 10, 2004.

1. i am just a little curious. why is the MM5 significantly more the the MM4. other than the extra low B.

out of all my years of being around basses, i have never seen such a huge price gap from a 4 string bass, to the 5 string model.

like seriously, on musiciansfriend.com, the 4 string model is a measly $769, compared to the MM5 being $1599!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im just curious. and also, do marcus miller 5 strings sell for this much in stores??

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Marcus 4's are made in Japan and Marcus 5's are made in the USA.

3. but is that really worth the extra $800. and if thats he only difference, why dont they have a 5 string model thats is made in Japan, that sells for like $1000? this confuses me.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well...deciding if its worth it is up to the buyer, not me. You asked the difference, I told ya.....

5. I owned a fender MIJ MM 4 and played a MM5 in a store...
    the MM4 was not too bad.. it had a rather thin passive tone compared to my american standard and the treble boost was just too much, but had a really slim neck which was easy to play(this is strange cos my vintage '75 had a real chunky neck)... on the other hand, the MIA MM5 was incredible! Great passive tone, long sustain.. on active, it went crazy! but fender isn't known for making good B's.. proven once again on this bass. yup. oh and the metal pickup cover will get in the way if you're not used to it.. but it helped me gauge the string height when i slap... hope you get what i mean.