Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between true Fender and Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jontom, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have the opportunity to score a used Fender Squier(MIJ)P-bass at a good price. Should I nab it or save the ducats for a true Fender? What are the main tone/construction differences between the two lines(because this one seemed to play like a champ!). Just want to know what I'm missing by going on "the cheap"...

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I know the MIJ Fenders are great. I am pretty sure the Squiers that were MIJ were really good too.

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    If it's a JV series - Grab it quick! - Damn fine basses!

The JV series was mostly made with U.S. parts shipped to Japan for "final assembly"

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    oh yeah, the JV series has JV stamped on the neck plate.

Other MIJ series are the Silver Series (one of my ex students has one and it's one of the best P's I have played -I kid you not) and the Pro Tone Series which are also very good. If you get any of these for the price of a 'normal' Squier you are doing ok.

5. Just cuz it's cheap don't mean it's bad. Some Squiers I've played have outdone some Fenders, the only real difference is one's (Squier) made in Korea, the other's (Fender) made in America (at least the higher end ones are...the cheaper ones are made in Mexico or Japan). As far as quality they aren't too far apart, the main difference is pickups and QC.

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    This is the case with the Indonesian Squires right now. They are coming out with excellent quality (especially the 20th Anniversary editions). I added some TI flats to the Squire P-Special I am playing and it sounds better than my friends Fender Precision Standard. I am going to add new pickups later on, but dang! the neck is great and the whole bass is light enough to play for hours.

Having said that, I would sell it before I sold my Fender Jazz. :D

Dan

7. With a Squier, I would be worried about the consistency of workmanship from instrument to instrument and the quality of the electronic components. But if the bass you're looking at plays well and sounds good, then don't be deterred by the stigma against Squiers and other cheap basses. Go for it!

If you haven't already, you might want to check the jack to make sure it's secure and the pots to make sure they're not scratchy.