Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between US and non-US bassballs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Mar 5, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Other than the metal box and slightly different switch/knob style and locations is there any difference between the US (NYC Series) EH Bassballs and the cheaper (Russian?) black bassballs models? Do they sound the same? is the US version better??? or is the added $10 just for looks and a made in USA badge? I am thinking of getting one and I am just trying to find out the differences.

Also does anyone use the bassballs along with a wah? I have the dunlop 105Q and was thinking of adding the bassballs after it and was curious about the sound. Any opinions?

-KB

2. A friend of mine has a black bassballs. It's a decent pedal, but a bit noisey.

I can't comment on the difference between the newer American made ones and the current Russian pedals.. but I can say that the difference between vintage EH pedals and the current Russian ones is night and day.

We've tried the wah+bassballs thing and did thorough experimentation with the order of the two pedals, the settings on the bassballs, and different playing techniques. No matter what we did it didn't sound useable. With a fully working wah it might be a different story though.. at that time his wah (the other bass crybaby.. I forget the model number) was making a lot of garbage noise and not wah-ing much. The last I heard it had pretty much stopped working entirely, and he is trying to get it fixed (we goto different colleges)

It sucks that his wah doesn't work, but it's sort of funny because I sold it to him, and it worked fine while I owned it, and I let him borrow it for a week before buying it, and it also worked perfectly fine then. Started to go bad pretty soon after he bought it from me.