Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between Utile Mahogany and regular mahogany?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Nov 1, 2004.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    My new Status, which I bought used, has an Utile mahogany body, which made me fear it might make it too dark, dull or muddy-sounding. Except it didn't. Even unplugged (I love to play unplugged, by the way,) the bass sounds very snappy and rich, it does have a pretty dark-sounding low end, but I'd be lying if I said the bass didn't have enough highs.

So, is there a difference between Utile mahogany and regular mahogany, then, or does the maple neck really add that much snappiness to the sound? Wood experts, please educate me. Thanks in advance.

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    バンプお願いします。

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Utile (Entandrophragma utile) is not actually a true mahogany (Swietenia spp). Like most woods, it has many common name, including "utile mahogany" which is referencing the fact that it might be consdiered a similar to or a good substitute for true mahogany. There are actually many trees that are called "xxxx mahogany." The one common name for utile that I've seen used for it before is "sipo."

So it's not surprising that it doesn't sound as you expected mahogany to sound.