1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference between Vintage and Standard Sadowskys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 25, 2005.

1. From what I can tell, the only difference between the Vintage series and Standard series Sadowsky Metros is purely cosmetic (Vintage has pickguard and chrome plate). They seem to have the same wood bodies, fretboards, and electronics. Am I right that there aren't real differences in playability/feel or sound?

I'm leaning toward the Standard series, since I love the '59 burst, and it seems like a shame to cover that beautiful wood with a pickguard (I don't use picks).

2. Yeah the only difference is whether it has a pickguard or not, on the models you mention.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Possibly vintage frets, instead of medium jumbos?

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It's all about the Pickguard.

5. MAJOR METAL

And the control plate.

6. Yes, you are right.

Note that for slap and pop, some folks like the feel of a pickguard and some don't which could affect playability.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    the pickguard is effective even if you dont use a pick there are some agresive techniques (or just one?) like slap (alredy mentioned), when you slap and pop too fast you cant allways control how deep your index &/or ring finger goes and this can end up in some ugly chips, dings or cracks on the finish, it also protects the wood from sweat and grease thats in hte spot were most bassist put their anchor thumb when they fingerplay.

8. Thanks. Good point. I've already been thinking how bummed I'll be when my new axe gets its first ding. I sure don't need to scrape it up a lot myself. The Steinberger has spoiled me. It's darn near impossible to bang it up.

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Bartman - I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has slowly convinced themself to get a Sadowsky - I went from a KSD to the JO5 Skyline to the JO5 Skyline with a Retro J and then found that I was not to far from a Metro 5 . I will be going in to Sadowsky toward the end of Feb , just need to makeup my mind about the VTC .

10. MAJOR METAL

You can allways get the clear pick guard to protect the wood whille you still enjoy its beauty. :)

11. I started out wanting a Stingray 5, then wished for a Metro, decided to look more seriously at the JO, then decided the DJ probably had more of the sound I wanted. Suddenly my budget expanded yesterday, so now I'm back to wanting the Sadowsky. I'm still a little bewildered by 5-strings (i've played 4-bangers since college), and I want my new axe to feel like home.

Man, I'm stuck in Portland, though my brother lives in Brooklyn. Now, if I can just find an excuse to visit him. :meh:

I'm envious of your impending pilgrimage.

12. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I have a SR5 and I was just looking for J5 as my second bass -My son also plays , much better than me . He's more excited than I am

13. Interesting idea. I've thought about this, though I'm a little worried it might look cheesy, especially when the clear pickguard gets a little scratched up. I guess I could get a new pickguard at that time if it REALLY bothered me, though.

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Pickguard and plate only. All else the same. My standard 5, pictured below, now has a 1/2 clear pickguard added. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob

15. Who did you get to attach the pickguard? I'd be terrified to have someone drilling into my pride and joy.

16. I don't think there's any drilling involved...it's a pressure fit assembly if I'm not mistaken. I would assume that you'd have to have the folks at Sadowsky do that type of assembly.

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I personally love the Vintage look with a Tortoise Pick Guard and the Control plate. Guess the older I get, the more old school I become. But the standards looks awesome too with a transluscent finish so you can see the grain of the wood.

I like the fact that the Pick Guard helps to preserve the finish. If the pick guard gets dinged up, it's easy to replace.

18. Sounds good, but isn't it part of the deal with the Metros that they don't do any special orders with regards to color, pickguards, etc? :confused:

I think either the MS-4 or the MV-4 with a '59 burst finish would look terrific with a clear pickguard. The tortoise shell and the white ones are pretty nice, but I just LOVE the look of that Ash body.
    :cool:

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    hi!

they are attached with pickguard screws. I did it myself. Roger sent me the guard, marked it with a pencil, drilled, countersunk with the tip of a screwdriver

Rob