Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between Vintage Phase 90 and Reissue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Jan 19, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Is there a big difference? I saw vintage phasers on ebay for about double price of a new version. Does anyone know which version uses Marcus Miller?

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    if you are looking to get one, try the EVH 90, as it has modes for both the older script models and the newer block model. A fantastic pedal and a great investment.

I suspect that marcus will probably be using the script model.

3. I agree with above post, the EVH is probabaly the best investment as you get both block and script modes. I find I rarely use the script mode on bass, its very similar to a light chorus type sound, the block mode has the grunt and a wider spectrum of phasing.

I have owned a couple of the original script logo Phase 90s and they sound great on guitar, but were a bit weak to my taste for bass. Some of the script logos dont have a power adaptor socket, and if it is one of the orginal series, it definitely wont. There are a couple of original script Phase 90's floating around on eBay with a RS-27 or RS-28 mod, which essentially either adds a block logo type sound or a switch that can change between the two (the same as the EVH).

I think a standard block logo re issue is the perfect phaser for bassist's. The EVH is great if you want to switch between the modes, but I wouldnt pay any more for an original script logo second hand than you can get the EVH for brand new.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    me personally I like the block one, didn' care for the other.

5. i went with the EVH 90 compared to the new phase90... the evh had that sweetness with the script function. i played them back & forth, back & forth.... i could definately hear the evh had the advantage in better tone.

6. The new one EVH90 is more expensive, right?

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The EVH90 is a little more expensive I think, but it's totally worth it in my book. Has more options...and a blinding blue LED!! Hehehe, no seriously, it's very lush sounding but it's got high output...I really like it.

8. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Looks like I have to get one :) What is the situation with frequencies? It's a guitar unit as I know, my akai phaser boosts high freq. not too much, but it's bothering me.