Difference between Vintage Phase 90 and Reissue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Jan 19, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Is there a big difference? I saw vintage phasers on ebay for about double price of a new version. Does anyone know which version uses Marcus Miller?
  2. crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    if you are looking to get one, try the EVH 90, as it has modes for both the older script models and the newer block model. A fantastic pedal and a great investment.

I suspect that marcus will probably be using the script model.
  3. I agree with above post, the EVH is probabaly the best investment as you get both block and script modes. I find I rarely use the script mode on bass, its very similar to a light chorus type sound, the block mode has the grunt and a wider spectrum of phasing.

I have owned a couple of the original script logo Phase 90s and they sound great on guitar, but were a bit weak to my taste for bass. Some of the script logos dont have a power adaptor socket, and if it is one of the orginal series, it definitely wont. There are a couple of original script Phase 90's floating around on eBay with a RS-27 or RS-28 mod, which essentially either adds a block logo type sound or a switch that can change between the two (the same as the EVH).

I think a standard block logo re issue is the perfect phaser for bassist's. The EVH is great if you want to switch between the modes, but I wouldnt pay any more for an original script logo second hand than you can get the EVH for brand new.
  4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    me personally I like the block one, didn' care for the other.
  5. i went with the EVH 90 compared to the new phase90... the evh had that sweetness with the script function. i played them back & forth, back & forth.... i could definately hear the evh had the advantage in better tone.
  6. The new one EVH90 is more expensive, right?
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    The EVH90 is a little more expensive I think, but it's totally worth it in my book. Has more options...and a blinding blue LED!! Hehehe, no seriously, it's very lush sounding but it's got high output...I really like it.
  8. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Looks like I have to get one :) What is the situation with frequencies? It's a guitar unit as I know, my akai phaser boosts high freq. not too much, but it's bothering me.