Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference between vintage vs. new Ampeg 8x10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnbegone, Mar 6, 2005.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a big Ampeg guy, I play an SVT-III Pro through two SVT-410HE's right now. I have the opportunity to buy a vintage 70's Ampeg 8x10 with all original speakers (minus one, it being replaced by ampeg) and since I've never played through one, I was wondering what the differences are between the 70's versions and the current. I have played a bunch of new 810's and I love the tone. I can't just go and try out the cab, because it's a good long drive away, so before I decide to do that, can anyone fill me in on what changes have been made, if any? Thanks a lot.

2. The vintage ones are beat up and ****ty looking and the new ones aren't.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    The vintage ones are big and heavy, and the new ones are heavy and big.

4. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Maybe you should re-think getting that ampeg....

5. depends on how old it is....the new 8x10s are 800watts rms..i think the really old ones were something like 240watts(or somewhere around there)

6. Why should he rethink the Ampeg? Because you don't like them? :rolleyes:

The newer 810s handle more power but I think that the older ones are a bit punchier. Maybe something to do with the lighter cones. The real old ones with the square backs have a bit more bottom end. For my money, though, the Bergantino NV-610 sounds more like the vintage 810s than the new Ampeg 810s do. Plus it's 70lb lighter!

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i owned a 70' 810(which got stolen) and i loved it. also owned a new svt810 and was never happy with it. too each his own.

8. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    How exactly does one walk away with a 160lbs 8x10???

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Verrrry slowwwwly

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I played through an Ampeg V9 9x10......(yes it had 9 ten inche speakers) with my bassman 135, and I LOVED the sound. Only if I could find one that is for sale :p

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It's been a while, but I remember the old cabinets were made from real plywood. Whereas the ones I bought in the eighties were made out of cheap (and heavy) pressboard. :meh:

12. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, I saw a 9x10 on sale on ebay awhile back and I reallllly wanted it but it was in Texas and I had no way of getting it.

The reason I'm looking at this vintage one is because I like the idea of having something a little unique. Like, everyone in my area plays the ampeg 8x10, which I love, but atleast a vintage one would stand out a bit. Thanks for all the advice guys.

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    "Pressboard" is a bit harsh.........some parts are made of a somewhat more "green" material known as "OSB". Some parts are made of "real" plywood.

Plywood needs logs big enough to shear off big sheets of veneer that are then laid up cross-wise as plywood. Typically larger trees are the "old growth" trees that get everyone upset about logging. And, you can only use part of the tree.

The OSB uses the same cross-wise strengthening principle, but instead of needing full sheets of veneer, it uses smaller pieces. The smaller pieces don't require large logs for production, so more of the tree gets used. It does not waste as much wood as plywood production.

That said, I like the plywood better, and I would like to see us go back to it.

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'd say, get the '70's cab and if you don't like it, sell it. Or give it to me. :D

15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The older, the better.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Interesting, I tried my Bassman 135 through a vintage 8x10 and it sounded horrible. It wasn't very loud, either. :rollno:

17. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

See if you can find a SVT 1540. It's got 4 10's on top and a 15 on bottom. It's unique and sounds great with my SVT IIIPro. Just a thought. (And it's plenty loud enough, especially if you run your bass through a SanAmp BDDI) :D

18. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    What do you guys think of the svt classic 410?

It's one half of the 810. I heard the 810 was boomy from some people but i'd like to play one.