Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference btwn SWR Goliath II & III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBaron, Jun 13, 2002.

1. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I wanna add another 4x10 to my rig and already have an SWR Goliath II. Should I look for another to match or get the III? Are the sounds comparable?

2. Their tones are quite similar. The Goliath III has a bit better low end response due to extra porting, and also has a bit better power handling. On one hand it would be nice to get a Goliath II to match up to your setup. Also, those can be had used for much less than a new Goliath III (i've seen G II's used for $300+). On the other hand, you might end up with a bit better tone with a Goliath III matched with the II... Also, this gives you the chance to upgrade to two Goliath III's in the future if you wanted to, just by upgrading one cabinet.

John

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a Goliath II (for sale, incidently..shameless plug) and I've never found that they sounded hardly anything alike.

The II is more in the vein of an Eden cab. Which, from what I understand, was designed by David Nordchow before he started Eden. The II's are more old school sounding and will probably be a bit muddier. Also, John was correct about the power handling of the III being better. I also think that the II is lighter in weight than the III, but I'll neeed to check the books to be sure on that.

As far as running those two cabs together it might make for an interesting tone. But they might not look all that great, together.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you can get a chrome replacement grille for the goliath 2.