1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

difference in fender j p/ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vic_6, Apr 11, 2006.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i was wondering if there are differences in 60's and 70's era pick ups in jazz basses. like, are the p/ups in a 77 different from those found in a 72? or are the pick ups in a 62 different from that of a 64?

vic

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't know vintage personally but I've ran across plenty of references to as much. Don't know when Fender stopped "handwiring" pups but there's considerable variation in handwired pups of the same period. Each decade sort of has it's tone and pups change to meet what sells.

From having the same pups at the same time I've noticed even some current production "machine" wired pups vary noticeably -all else equal.

3. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    ok thanks :)

anyone with more info wanna chime in? :)

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Well I have a 97 MIA P and pups are brighter and a lot louder then those in my dad's 61 pbass, 72 fretless p, and 82 ri p. The 62 and 82 ri (which has the fender vintage pups that come default in ri's in it) sound pretty similar, but the 72 is a little brighter and louder, though not as much as my 97. I plan to put some vintage pups in mine.

5. As I know the ´60 pus are darker (overwounded) and ´70 ones are brighter (underwounded).

6. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    really? aren't the 70's p/ups brighter than the 60's?

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

maybe I'm missing something here but the era seems a moot point. I've took a stab at obtaining lots of tones but I've never gone for a 70's or whatever sound. In any period, there's no more ONE sound than there is now. What's poplular is what accumulates interest but there's plenty else.

At any rate, pups are only one variable in tone and making comparisons when pups are not the only variable is not of much use since the difference in tone can't be attirbuted to the pup alone. One pup may sound darker in one bass than another cause the bass may be darker acoustically, have darker caps (whatever), different strings, different technique applied, be run through totally different equipment, and on and on.

Essentially all the tones that have ever been around are still available and around today ( mag pups haven't changed much) and you don't necessarily have to have to 60's pup to get a 60's, whichever 60's tone that may be.

8. People seem to covet the sound of the 62's