Difference in Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plar, Jul 9, 2005.

1. plar

Jun 14, 2005
    So what exactly is the difference between the highway bass and the american standard ones?
  2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Gloss Finish and Hardshell case I believe
  3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Did you go to the Fender website?
  4. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I think also some of the parts were manufactured outside of the US, but assembled in Calif.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    AS bass has graphite neck, Hwy 1 does not.
    AS is strung thru the body, hwy 1 is not.
    AS has a painted body, hwy 1 has a finish that is designed to wear with age.
    AS comes with case, T wrench, saddle key, strap, cord. hwy 1 comes with a bag.

Hwy 1 are closer to MIM basses than MIA basses if you ask me. I own MIA and MIM basses but no hwy 1. for hwy 1 money I got a Geddy Lee, a better deal by far. :)
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Highway 1 Jazz has a terrific neck profile, IMO. They're good basses, but Fender QC is not what it could be so play/inspect until you find one you like and make them set it up before you buy. I would not feel at all bad about owning one if it were what I could afford. I'd stick a set of Fralins in it and be on my way. Now that I think about it, I might get one for a back-up.
  7. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I have a Hwy 1 with a J retro preamp and a set of 60 custom shop pickups and it smokes arse. As soon as I can afford it Im gonna get a geddy or a 77 or 62 american reissue and do the same upgrade to it. It is a good bass and I like the neck profile. I just dont like the tuners that come on the Hwy 1. Other than that its the only thing Id change but even that is not to big a deal.