Difference in index/middle finger sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by darkjoker667, May 23, 2004.

1. darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I pluck with two fingers, and I'm beginning to notice something. The sound I make with my index finger is different from the sound I make with my middle finger, even though it seems like I'm using the same amount of pressure on each pull. The middle finger has a more muted tone while the index is slightly more bright. I feel my fingertips and it feels like my middle finger is softer on the tip then my index. Can anyone help me?
  2. speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    Do you normally lead (starting a run and switching strings) with your index finger? You may want to switch to leading with your middle finger and see if that helps strengthen/toughen it. One thing I do to try to keep my fingers "in balance" is alternate lead fingers when warming up/practicing scales. Doing this will help keep you from favoring one finger too much.

3. FeedBack

May 12, 2004
    i noticed that my index was always alot weaker than my middle due to the length and the position i held my hand. if u just practice enough and alternate between the two enough, getting even shouldnt be hard