1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference in sound quality in cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LemmyLicious, Aug 21, 2012.

1. LemmyLicious

LemmyLicious

Sep 27, 2010
    I have the 500W Terror Bass head through a Warwick WCA 115 or 410-4 (got it used, not very knowledgeable about amps...), my first bass rig. As I was looking through Orange cabs, I noticed they're really, really pricey. What kind of sound differences there are, comparing the 'wick to the Orange? I have no problems with the Warwick, I'm just extremely interested in learning why they are so costy. :D

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Orange have expensive looks, the cabs themselves are nothing special function wise, some are fairly severely compromised. The throw around endorsements like confetti, so whenever you buy one, you are buying cabs for loads of people, makes the garish cabs even more visible. Basically, price doesn't reflect function, and especially not in the case of Orange. Cab is a key part of your rig and the major limiting factor on your tone and SPL, so it is the main place to concentrate.

3. +100

[/thread]

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i bought a black orange obc115, i really like it a lot with my vintage mesa tube head, however, a fender, ampeg, avatar, lds, or gk would have saved me some major cash, especially since i need 215s for my current project, i have been finding it really difficult to pick up a second black orange 115 used and i'm concerned that if i trade in mine i'm going to not get anywhere near what they retailed for when i bought it, so after rambling on here for probably too long, my orange experience has been really good, but pricey so far, probably just going to have to buy a used orange one and duratex it black myself or spray paint it with montana matte spray paint, oh well

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1. The OBC 15 and 410 are good cabs, but stooopid heavy. The isobaric cabs are a new marketing take on an old concept that doesn't make much sense today. IMHO the isobaric ads are also misleading. The 212 is not as loud as a conventional 212, just smaller....similar for the other isobarics. There are MUCH better (and cheaper) choices IMO.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Price bears no relation to sound. Only you will know how they will sound to you by testing them, we can only offer our opinions, which probably means squat for your ears and needs. ;)