1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

difference in Sterio and Mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skankin, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Skankin

Skankin

Dec 5, 2006
    Dallas Georgia
    Hey,
    Long time reader (of about 3+ years), first time poster. Whats up, my name is JJ and i have a question in regards to sterio and mono on amps.

I play an ampeg b4r into an ampeg 410 at 8ohms. For the past 2 yaers of playing this rig, ive used the Mono setting, and recently finding i dont like my sound from my amp. So i switched it over to Sterio, now i can def. hear the difference but i dont no what the actual internal differnce is between the two.

I really like the drier sound i get from the amp in Sterio...i play folk punk/punk (like Against Me meets the Bouncing Souls i guess), and it sounds great for the part, i jsut dont no what the actual difference is.

I also plan on grabbing another 410 soon, my stage volume just isnt loud enough at our normal gig.

Thanks for the help,
    JJ:bassist:

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Assuming the B4R has a stereo power section that is bridged during mono operation, by using the head in stereo mode, your speaker cabinet is only being driven by one power amplifier and not both. This would effectively reduce the available power by almost a factor of four. Also, while in bridged mono operation, each power amp sees half the load. This means that on your 8 Ohm cab, each power amp was seeing and driving a 4 Ohm load. Now you have a single power amplifier driving an 8 Ohm load. Let's look at an example:

Say you have an amplifier rated at 2x500 Watts RMS into a 4 Ohm load and 2x250 Watts RMS into an 8 Ohm load. By bridging the two power amplifiers, your amplifier would be able to achieve 1000 Watts RMS into an 8 Ohm load. By driving the same load with one channel of the amplifier, you're only able to achieve 250 Watts RMS into the same 8 Ohm load.

On paper, there is no reason not to run your amplifier in bridge mode in your case. This would provide increased headroom and noticeably louder volume settings before the onset of clipping (assuming your cab can handle this without being damaged - in your case, if you're not running everything at maximum and are mindful of your speakers, you'll know when you're getting close to pushing things too far). However, if the stereo setting sounds better to you and you're able to achieve a volume level you're happy with, there is nothing wrong with running the head in this fashion.