1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Difference in Tobacco and 2-Tone Sunburst?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Apr 28, 2005.

1. I got to looking at xCental34x's 2TS Precision (beautiful) and looking at Warmoth and seeing they only have Tobacco and got to wondering. Is 2 Tone Sunburst the same as Tobacco Sunburst? If not, what is the difference?

2. I'll take a whack at it.

I believe that:

1.) Two tone sunburst starts as a gold/light brown color in the center, and fades to dark brown at the edges.

2.) Three tone sunburst starts as gold/light brown, then transitions to a reddish hue and then fades to dark brown at the edges.

3.) Tobacco sunburst starts as a medium brown which then fades to dark brown at the edges.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Mike

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've always thought that 3-tone goes from black to red to amber, 2-tone goes from black to amber, and tobacco goes from brown to amber.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think Tobacco has a darker shading.

5. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    tobacco and 2-tone are usually pretty close, if tobacco is not a shade darker (as metal points out)... it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the 2-tone/tobacco is generall light brown to dark brown. 3-tone is three coats of color= amber base coat, then red, then brown on the outside. all cool, but i like 2-tone/tobacco or whatever the all brown one is called.
    :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

7. Sir Squier

Sir Squier

Apr 29, 2005