Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference in Tobacco and 2-Tone Sunburst?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Apr 28, 2005.

1. I got to looking at xCental34x's 2TS Precision (beautiful) and looking at Warmoth and seeing they only have Tobacco and got to wondering. Is 2 Tone Sunburst the same as Tobacco Sunburst? If not, what is the difference?

2. I'll take a whack at it.

I believe that:

1.) Two tone sunburst starts as a gold/light brown color in the center, and fades to dark brown at the edges.

2.) Three tone sunburst starts as gold/light brown, then transitions to a reddish hue and then fades to dark brown at the edges.

3.) Tobacco sunburst starts as a medium brown which then fades to dark brown at the edges.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Mike

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've always thought that 3-tone goes from black to red to amber, 2-tone goes from black to amber, and tobacco goes from brown to amber.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think Tobacco has a darker shading.

5. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    tobacco and 2-tone are usually pretty close, if tobacco is not a shade darker (as metal points out)... it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the 2-tone/tobacco is generall light brown to dark brown. 3-tone is three coats of color= amber base coat, then red, then brown on the outside. all cool, but i like 2-tone/tobacco or whatever the all brown one is called.
    :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

7. Sir Squier

Sir Squier

Apr 29, 2005