Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference in Yamahas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Can anyone tell me the difference beween the BBG and BBN series yamaha basses based on sound, playability, construction, etc.

2. I have owned a BBNF fretless 4 string for about a year now. If I recall correctly, this instrument was in the same price braquet as a MIM Fender Jazz Fretless. IMO, the BBNF had more of what I wanted tone wise than the MIM - it definately can get that certain mwah sound. I haven't compared it to the BBG, so I can't help you there.

3. Belair57, I just bought a BBN5II, and it's a great axe. I haven't tried any of the BBG series, and now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen any at the music stores I've gone to. The BBN series are great though.

Mike J.

4. mclaud

mclaud Guest

Oct 25, 2000
    portugal, lisbon
    hi!

If you see both models specifications, you can see that the main diference is the pickups, the BBG have active and the BBN passive.
    I have a BBG4SII for almost a year, it's no warwick or fender or even a stingray, but with a good setup, can do almost anythig, i have a realy low action and like it. the only problem that i have is the poor high soud of the pickuos, but with a good amp, you can get a very good sound.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I can not find any logic behind BBN and BBG-series of how they would differ in general. Both series one passive and one active axe, but BBN has both the cheaper passive(IE cheapest of BB-series) and most expensive active(BBN4A) in standard series.

BBG-series seems to fall between these two instruments, tho I have no idea if passive BBG is still made. BBG5S has replaced it I think.