Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference on G&L and G&L Tribute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I want an G&L bass, and i wondered, what is the major difference on an G&L tribute an an G&L? (exept for the G&L Tribute are made in korea...) im buying one with swamp ash body and maple fretboard anyway.. the difference for me, an Tribute i ca get now, an G&L i must wait about 6 - 7 months.. :(

2. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    There will probably be no discernable difference.They use the same materials, and Korean workmanship is very meticulous.I have had many Korean made instruments, and they are comparable to the Japanese in detail.You would probably not be disappointed.This is an attempt to get these instruments into the hands of people who can't afford their American made counterparts.Good luck.
    P.S. I have an American made L2000E and it is a great instrument.

3. the tribute series are really good, I wish I had one.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The biggest difference that I know of are the screws used to connect the neck to the body. I don't know if Americans G&L's have graphite neck rods or not. I do know that American G&L come in more finishes than Tributes.

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    hmmm.. now i have the possibility to get an cheap G&L L-2000 bass.. its still like..twice as much.. but its the real thing...and i know they are real quality...

Should i go for it?

6. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree. I A-Bed a US L2000 (ash/maple/#6 neck) with a Std Tribute L2000 (basswood/rosewood/wider neck) and there was a difference. Not a huge one, but noticeable. Similar to what I noticed when I compared a US Hamer Cruise to an imported Hamer Cruise a number of years ago. It's hard to quantify but the US model feels a bit more "solid" and polished. A bit livelier in the way it responds and vibrates against you. Sonically they are very, very close. Particularly with the Hamer I was surprised that I could tell the difference (that was before I'd done a lot of bass shopping and owning) but I could feel it.

Not to say the Tributes aren't good, they are. And I've had my share of Korean imports and been pretty impressed with the quality of work - particularly for the cost.

Some of the construction differences on Tributes vs. US:

neck - US bicut, Tribute 1-piece
    tuners - US aluminum tapered post ultralight, Tribute std open back
    bridge - same design but one has cast parts and the other milled or some such difference
    pickups - both use US pickups
    electronics - same preamp design, I don't know if both are mfred in the same place

US - molded case std
    Tribute - gig bag std

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I also happen to own one of G&L and one Tribute. The Tribute is actually my main gigging bass. I really like the neck on my Tribute more than the G&L. It just has a super fast, effortless quality to it.

Eddie, get two Tributes instead of one G&L, that way you'll have a backup(bassnw.com has great prices on them).