1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference Pyramid Gold vs Höfner flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LennyPenny, Oct 30, 2013.

1. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    I'm ordering an Ignition Beatle Bass soon and I'll be swapping out the stock rounds for flats right away. However, the store I'll be ordering from has Pyramid Golds and Höfner Beatle Bass strings, but the former are €38 and the latter €52, despite being the same gauge. Is this a mistake on the store's part? I've read somewhere that the one of the two (can't remember which) has a .100 E and the other a .105. I can't find specific gauge information on the Höfner website.

If they are exactly the same gauge, why are the Höfners that much more expensive?

2. Hofner flats and Pyramid Gold short scale flats are the same.I've used both for decades. The packaging is different.
    I'm seeing that both are using the same gauges now. I do remember that, years ago, the 105 E string was available in some sets.

3. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Thanks for replying. Still doesn't make sense why there's such a big difference in price if the only difference is the packaging..

4. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pimpernel speaks the truth. I'm glad an experienced Hofnerite got to you! Grab the cheaper pack and enjoy. They are great strings!:bassist:

5. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    The Hofner strings pass through more hands, and therefore cost more. Be sure to buy from dealer who will work with you if one or more strings aren't right. Only one out of 3 sets (both "brands") have been perfect for me.

I also highly recommend Optima flats, which supposedly come in short, medium and long scales. I've only tried the long scale on my Rick, and they feel and sound nearly identical to the Pyramids, but less money.

6. LennyPenny

LennyPenny

Mar 14, 2011
    Belgium
    Already ordered the Pyramids. I didn't see any Optimas while browsing for strings. Now I'm a bit anxious about getting a bad set.. Still super excited about the bass itself.