Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Difference Yamaha TRB 5 II and TRB 5P II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea2010, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Does anyone know what the difference between a Yamaha TRB 5 II and a TRB 5P II is?
    What does the 'P' mean?
    Thought that the TRB 5P II is over 2000 EUR, and I saw the 5II for 499 at german ebay (used, but cheap anyway, isn't it?)
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3769614323

Thank you,
    F...

2. possible that the 'P' stands for piezo?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The P does stand for piezos - but they are very different apart from this - so the TRBP has neck-through construction and exotic woods, as well as gold hardware and a split bridge - one saddle per string.

The TRBPs look, sound and play like high-end boutique basses, whereas the oridinary TRBIIs don't!! ;)

4. oh, thank you very much

I guess I better don't bid :ninja:

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

I don't have any Yamahas at the moment, but have previously, and have played many, including both the TRB's mentioned above. They are worlds apart. I played a couple TRBII's and was very disappointed in both. I really don't think they should be in the same product line with such close naming convention similarity, 'cause it causes lots of people similar confusion... including me initially.

6. totta

totta

Apr 15, 2005
    The letter P, stands for Piezo pickup. It is applied under the saddles and provides the TRB of a larger range of sounds, wether used single or combined with any of the Alnico p-ups.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a couple pics. One is of a TRB5-II, and the other is my TRB5P-II. They are very different beasts. The P-II is one of Yamaha's highest-end production basses. The II is still a great bass, but doesn't have the wood options, fit and finish of the P-II. Also, the P-II is neck-through vs bolt-on, and they have completely different bridges. They both have the fully fabulous "Gumby" headstock.

8. Hi, it's funny that you answer right now.

When I wrote the original post in December 2004 I was thinking about buying a TRBII, what I didn't.

And now, just two weeks ago, I finally bought the TRBIIP :hyper:

Thank anyway :bassist: