Differences between a Cast Frame and a Stamped Frame speaker...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Mar 15, 2002.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    What are the differences, besides price..??
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Cast frame speakers are more "heavy duty" than a stamped frame. Yeah, they're usually more expensive, but I believe they are able to handle more juice as well.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cast frame have a heavy, cast metal frame. The frame is thick. The frame is very rigid.

Stamped frame is stamped from a flat sheet of metal and is not as heavy duty.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Cast is heavy, while stamped is light.
    A well made stamped will be more stable and resistant than a poorly cast frame. And stamped steel is stronger than cast metal, per thickness.

It all comes down to the individual design.
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Thank you all for the replies!:) Thats what i thought the differences might be.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Cast frame speakers generally handle more wattage, because the frame doesn't flex as much as a stamped on would. It can support a larger magnet.
  7. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Two other differences:

1. Cast frames traditionally have more precise tolerances, so the alignment of the speaker, voice coil, and magnet can be better. This can help the voice coil gap to be smaller (thus a stronger magnetic field) and make for a better overall design.

2. Magnets are usually bolted to a cast frame, but glued to a stamped frame. Gluing not only makes for less precision, but also once in a great while a glued magnet can eventually fall off, especially a heavy one. This can happen if you drop your speaker cab by mistake, for example.

Having said that, there are some darn good stamped frame drivers out there. But you will usually find cast frames on top-of-the-line stuff.
  8. Ken Nahora

Ken Nahora

Jun 1, 2001
    Also, a cast-aluminum frame is a better heatsink than a stamped-steel frame.
    A woofer's voice coil can get very hot when you're running at high volume levels.
    When the heat isn't sufficiently disipated, sensitivity can decrease (the "compression effect"). So you increase the power to maintain a constant volume level, which means the voice coil now needs to disipate more energy. Eventually the temperature will get so high that the voice coil self-destructs.
    A cast aluminum frame improves heat disipation from the voice coil.
    Most high-power speakers use cast-aluminum frames.