Differences Between Acme Series I and II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm interested in picking up a pair of B2s series I but wondered how they were different than series II other than age. Are the series I cabinets worth significantly less in value?
  2. Most are visual. There are the brushed aluminum grills and corner strips on the Series 1 models vs powder coated black grills and corner strips on the Series 2 cabs. The handles on the Series 2 Low B-4 also differ from the Series 1 by being larger. Another not so noticeable difference is the tweeter from the Series 1 is from a different manufacturer then the current Audax model used in the Series 2. If you talk to Andy he'll tell you the old tweeters sounded better. I've heard both and couldn't tell the difference. Regardless, they're pretty darn sweet cabs. I'm biased though because I have one!

3. One last and very minor difference... the tweeter on the Series I can be switched off totally, whereas the Series II can be attenuated by about 90db but not shut off completely.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Looks like I'll be sending payment on 2 Acme Low B2 series I cabs today for a total of $550 shipped with covers. Thanks guys!
  5. :crying: Jealous. I want a Low B-4 so bad. Andy kicks ass.

I know you've probably already heard this, but be sure to 'break in' your speakers before playing them too loud in a rehearsal or gig situation. Talk to Andy about it.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    They're used. I'm pretty sure series I cabs have been discontinued for quite some time. So I'm pretty sure they are already quite broken in.
  7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    They have. When I called up Andy to order mine he said if I hung on a few weeks I could get the new variety, so I did. That was back in Summer 1999.

To summarise, the differences are the tweeter is slightly more powerful (efficient?) (I thought Andy said the new one sounded better not vice versa but I've never heard a Series 1 - I doubt there's much in it either way, the change was due to the old tweeter being discontinued), the edges are black powdercoated, the high/mid protection bulb now protects the attenuators as well (hence the max attenuation 'only' being 20dB not infinite), there are speakon, banana and 1/4" jacks not just 1/4" jacks, the Low-B4 has bigger handles and the badge is triangular not square, on the newer models.

Enjoy your new old cabs, they rule!