Differences between Aguilar 659 and 680

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What's your preference and why? Has anyone tried both? Are they close to the same tone wise or do they sound completely different? If so, how or how not? I will be running with a crest power amp, any other suggestions? Thanks, Marc
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I owned a DB659 for a while (running it with a Stewart 2.1 first, then with a DB728) and eventually got rid of the 659 in favor of a DB680/DB728 pair. So obviously, that's my preference. As for the tone, they are absolutely night and day, and I actually had a chance to A/B them properly through 2 GS112's.

Tonally, the 659 sounded more scooped - there's no way I could coax a grunty midrange without doing some bass EQ, but very deep, thick, and nice bright high end. With the Stewart, the 659 was a LOT tighter, especially in the lows, but thinner as well. The 680 on the other hand almost sounded upside-down smiley in comparison, but in a rich, complex, very "sit up and listen" way. The beauty of the 680 is that it fills in everything the 659 lacks - and adds INTENSE flexibility. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding preamp in my opinion.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    uh... what he said.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada

The DB680 is far more flexible then the DB659. 2 bands of fully parametric EQ allows for an extremely broad range of tonal adjustment.
  5. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    hey, gimmie a break joker! i'm on vacation (honeymoon actually) and i'm so relaxed, i actually have time to come up with coherent sentences!