Differences between Ampeg SVT, SVTII & SVTII Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yoss, May 14, 2004.

1. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    I've been searching the forums here, but haven't been able to come up with a detailed explanation of what the differences are between the Ampeg SVT (Vintage or CL), SVTII and SVTII Pro heads. I was wondering if you guys would mind giving me some insight on this. My main interest is tonal and volume differences, reliability differences, features and options, etc.

I've heard that the SVTII Pro is basically a CL with extras. Is this accurate? And where does the SVT II fit into the mix?

2. You're correct in saying that the II Pro is basically a Classic with more features. Those features are a graphic EQ with a footswitch, and a rack mountable design.

The III Pro is basically the same preamp, but with a solid state power amp. The tonal differences are have everything to do with the tube vs. solid state power amp.
  3. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    So basically the SVT II and II Pro will give the same tone and volume characteristics with the addtion of some flexibility offered by the eq and other options found on the II and II Pro?

Are there any significant differences in the tone, volume and reliability between the SVT II and II Pro? And what are the actual differences between the two?
  4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    SVT 70's vintage needs no introduction, 2 preamp channels, SVT, 'nuff said

CL is a "simplified" version, with fewer tubes in preamp per channel, missing the essence ot "that sound". Might as well be all transistor IMO

II pro has extras as noted, rack mount, but is otherwise like CL, also missing "that sound"
  5. yoss

Oct 1, 2003
    Thanks for the info so far. Would you guys mind telling me what the differences are between the SVT II and SVT II Pro? I know the II is the older version of the II Pro, but aside from that, what additions or changes were made to the II Pro to set it apart from the II? Thanks!
  6. I have owned both the III Pro and the II Pro and found that the III Pro was a nice sounding amp but under powered and that the II Pro had a similar sound but was louder. And in comparing the II and the II Pro, the II Pro has tube protection circuitry that will make it shut down when the amp gets too hot and the one I owned got very hot. Also the layout of the II (not Pro) is similar to how the original svt were but sound nothing alike. If you can find an svt II with its orginal GE 6550's that would be the best way to go. Or get a vintage svt (1969-1979) and never look back. IMHO.