Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences between Crown Macro-Tech and Micro-Tech amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Mar 17, 2005.

1. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I've done a few searches, and couldn't find much, so I thought I'd ask: can anyone comment on the differences between the Crown Macro-Tech and Micro-Tech series?

I've perused all the stuff on their website, and it looks like it boils down to the MA series having the IOC circuitry, PIP connector, and "Quad Mute", while the MT series is lighter and cheaper. Is that it? What would the differences mean to us bass players?

The MA series seems to be more talked about on TB, so I figure it's probably for a good reason!

Thanks.

2. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Just in case anyone digs this little thread up, I found this in Crown's FAQs:

"The distinguishing characteristics between the MT and MA amplifiers are features. The MA (Macro-Tech) amplifiers have front panel level controls, SPI, IOC, and are PIP (Programmable Input Processor) module compatible. The MT (Micro-Tech) amplifiers do not include these features." ​

I also called Crown just to confirm that these are the only differences and they did: other than the list above, the units are identical in construction, and sound the same.

Hmmm, never gigged with a power amp that didn't have level controls on the front. Anybody else run that kind of set-up, with the levels on their power amp "fixed" so stage volume was controlled by pre-amp output?

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

My older Hafler amp was like that, it wasn't much of a problem for me at the time.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...go for the MA series. Built like a tank(heavy), but can take anything & sound amazing...

~S~

5. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks, guys. Devilman, I am actually leaning toward the MA series (if I go Crown -- I'm still considering Crest, and then whichever one I choose will go head-to-head with my QSC), but have you had any problems with the MT series, or do you know of any?

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Don't know much about the MT but it definetly isn't as "industrial" as the MA. The MA just seems to have linear power for days & killer lows. The Crest CA series are supposed to be very good also. I've also had a Carvin DCM2000 that worked great. The fan was a bit noisy but for the price it was well worth it if you're on a budget.

~S~

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I, upon occasion, use my Crown Macrotech 2402 for my bass rig (normally I use it is regulated to PA duties). This is the best power amp I've ever personally owned or used. It is, however, way to heavy for me to consider it for regular use in a rig.

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    My MA2402 is a staple in my rig regardless of weight...

~S~