Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences between Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by saxybill1, Feb 9, 2005.

1. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    What exactly are the differences (including quality) of the Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller and the Jazz Deluxe? I presume that they all play similarly, so what are the differences?
    Thanks

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Mostly just electronics and aesthetics. The Geddy has passive, vintage single coils, the Miller has vintage single coil pickups with a preamp designed after the original Sadowsky preamp in Miller's own bass. The Deluxe has us noiseless pickups with an 18 volt 3 band preamp.

3. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Geddy bass is also lighter with a verrrry thin neck. This is good for some - I've also heard that particular neck warps easeier than others. The Miller body also a heavy chunk of ash wood vs. the Geddy alder (I think).

4. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    Thanks to all that responded. Anymore critique between these bases?
    Thanks

5. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    The Geddy and Marcus are also made in Japan, and carry a lower price tag. That said the US Deluxe version tends (notice I said tends) to have better build quality, fretwork, etc...

I know that's not always true, but it seems to be the norm (as far as I have seen)

Don

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Geddy bass is made of alder while the Miller bass is ash. The necks on the two differ due to the shaved neck of the Geddy. As far as the weight of the two basses, my two appear to weigh the same thing. I have heard of heavier than normal Miller basses though. The two basses sound nothing alike, even with the Miller bass in true passive mode. Now as far as the dlx jazz bass is concerned, it's active with a 3 band eq (not 2 band like the Miller bass) and now sports "noiseless pups". This bass also sounds nothing like the Miller bass but pretty decent anyway. I own the older version of this bass with the 1/4 inch slug pups and it's a decent bass. Now Xcental34X mentioned the dlx jazz has an 18 volt pre-amp, I think he's confusing the dlx bass with the MIA dlx bass which has the 18 volt pre and the newer scn pups in it. The MIM dlx bass retains the 9 volt pre with the "noiseless pups in it, pretty much the electronics of the former MIA dlx jazz bass which in itself is nothing to sneeze at!

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Really? Could you elaborate in this? I used to have a MM Jazz and was considering picking up a GL.

Thanks in advance

8. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    The American Jazz Deluxe has a slightly smaller body and a couple more frets, too.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'll try
    The MM jazz is active which we know, you can bypass the pre and run it flat without tone controls. The Geddy is passive. They both state they have vintage pups in them but they are different. The mm bass has staggered poll pieces while the Geddy has beveled poll pieces of the same height. The MM bass has an ash body while the Geddy has an alder body. I bought the Geddy bass because of the alder body, I have found that you get more warmth out of an alder body. I think the badassII bridge makes the bass a tad bright but it's no biggie

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Tone wise what do you think the main differences are?

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The MIA deluxe also has a rolled fingerboard, better dressed frets, string through body or bridge option,SCN pups (new models) abalone inlays,tension tightning tuners.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    It's hard to measure the difference because the MM bass is active, even if you try to a/b the basses with the MM bass in passive mode it's still not a true test due to the lack of it's tone control. What I will say is the MM bass is more aggressive than the Geddy bass.