Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences between Sterling and Stingrays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Sep 13, 2001.

1. I haven't had the chance to play either, so I'm curious.

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Sterlings have a thinner neck and smaller (+thinner) Body.
    Sterlings have a three-way selector switch to toggle Series, Parallel or Single Coil use of the Pickup
    Sterlings come with 3-Band EQ
    Stingray come with 2-Band EQ, too

David

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think the second best way to found the diferences is visiting Ernie Ball web page:
    www.ernieball.com
    there you could find all the specifications for both sterlings and stingrays......

The best way is trying them on!!!!!
    I´m still looking for that:cool:

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I agree, they have quite a different sound.

I mean, they both definatly sound like MM basses, but they're not like the same thing.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Pretty close to right on the money. The Sterling has a narrower string spacing at the nut, not really thinner front to back (thumb to fingers). Think J-bass vs. P-bass when comparing the neck of a Sterling to a Stingray.

The SR4 doesn't have the series/parallel/single coil switch, but the SR5 does.

The Sterlings and SR5's both come standard with a 3-band EQ, on the SR4 it's an available option. At Bass Central, we generally only stock the 3-band SR4's (although we do have a 2-band in the warehouse).

If you've ever got any questions about the EB/MM basses, just ask me (e-mail, PM, or post), and if I don't know the answer I'll find out. I talk to the people at Ernie Ball almost daily, sometimes several times a day. I'll be happy to answer any queries myself, or get the answers for you if I don't know.

By the way, check out our updated website. Looks nice: www.basscentral.com :D

6. Also, a Sterling can be spotted from a distance by the fact that it does not have a metal plate behind the controls on the guitar as the Stingray does. (Although now I come to think of it maybe the Anniversary Stingray didn't either?? . . . but then they do look a bit special anyway)

The Sterling is supposedly a down sized version of the Stingray, and in dimensions it is a little smaller, but not an awful lot. My Sterling is actually heavier than some Stingrays I've tried.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    all the differences have been covered...but i'll just say that i like the sterling a LOT more than the stingray.

but the 73 'ray i played this week was pretty nice too. :)

jason