Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

differences between svt-cl and svt-av

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamaica, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi all,
    I'm intersted in buying an ampeg all tube head.
    I love vintage sound but here in Italy I'm not be able to find a '70 svt for a reasonable price, so I have to go on a reissue.
    So:
    which are the sound differences between the svt-cl and the svt-av?
    and then:
    increasing the gain could I obtain a saturated to distorted sound?(I ask this because I saw that svt 2 pro has gain and (over)drive control and the svt cl/av has only the gain control).
    and if I'll find an used one:
    Which are the best power and pre tubes to obtain the best sound? winged C(ex svetlana)? jj/tesla? el-hx?

thanks

2. The SVT CL and SVT AV are the same amp. The AV model has a different colored grillcloth and faceplate, but electronically, they're identical. Get whichever one is cheaper. The stock power tubes that Ampeg puts in their SVT's are pretty nice and shouldn't need replacing, but I would replace the preamp tubes with JJ Electronics, though.To answer your question about overdrive, yes, you would vary the gain control to get more distortion and use the volume control for volume.