Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

differences in american dlx 4 and geddy jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 1, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    are there any differences? other than active or passive eq and such. what do you all think?

2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    American Deluxe: 3 band eq, smaller body, 24 fret neck, string-thru-body or thru-bridge, small cutaway on the heel where the neck bolts on, graphite reinforced neck, comes standard with straplocks.

That's all i can think of at the moment. There are a lot of other little things I think, not to mention the different string and finish options that the American deluxe provides.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Actually, it's 22 frets. :)

4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    oops :rolleyes: Nino is right. :D

Also, the deluxe has the fender noiseless pickups.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also, the American dlx is made in America. ;)

brad cook

6. The GL has a slimmer neck to match the one on his jazz that he had shaved down. It has a Badass II bridge. Also, the American Dlx is much more expensive.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The Am Deluxe also has humcancelling pu's, a side mounted jack, ultralight tuners.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so technically the amer. dlx is "better"?

9. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Oh! One more very important thing....

The AM deluxe has a modern neck radius of 9 1/2 as opposed to the GL's 7 1/4".

Better???

Hmm.. I see it more as a vintage vs. modern comparison...it depends what you're looking for.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Geddy has vintage pups and as you know is passive. The MIA dlx is active with bass, treble and mid boost. I must say, the dlx bass is a very modern sounding bass with a wide tonal variation at your finger tips. :bassist:

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks guys. i guess its all up to me now.