1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

differences in bass amps and guitar amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaunceytoben, May 29, 2007.

1. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    hey whats up guys, ive got a noob question.

im lookin to take up bass, so i just baught a squire jazz bass as a beginner bass.

ive got a guitar amp, and was wondering if it was nescerarry to spend the extra money to buy a bass amp. im just a beginner, and im lookin for something to practice on. are the differences substantial?

thanks.

btw, i checked the FQ and the first few pages for this Q, so sorry if i missed it.

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    At low volumes you should be okay, but odds are you're going to damage the speaker in your guitar amp, it's just not designed for the lower end of bass frequencies. Now on the other side of the coin, you can play a guitar through a bass amp just fine, although it's probably not the most ideal sound for most guitar players

3. the differences are mainly in the EQ-bass amps are set for bass frequencies- & the speakers-bass amp/combo spkrs are able to handle the bass' extreme punishment of the LOW freqs. The guitar amp will be FINE for you as long as U R only using it as a "bedroom" amp- try & get any volume outta it & U will hear the speaker 'farting' If U do hear this -stop playing or turn down IMEDIATELY or spkr blows up!
    IOW- fine for prac./bedroom use-but once other muso's/drummer is involved -get a dedicated bass amp/cab or combo.

4. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    all im lookin for is a bedroom amp; for now at least. thanks for the advice

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021