Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

differences in elixirs (polyweb vs nanoweb)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gyellow, Dec 16, 2003.

1. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    does any one know the differences in tone and feel of these strings? I want to try some.

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Accordingn to their website:

Elixir® Strings with ultra thin NANOWEB™ coating…
    Sound great 3 to 5 times longer than ordinary strings
    Have the bright tone and punch of non-coated strings
    Feel like traditional strings

Elixir® Strings with original POLYWEB® coating…
    Sound great 3 to 5 times longer than ordinary strings
    Have a balanced tone and smooth response
    Feel comfortably smooth and reduce finger squeak

3. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    Basically the only difference is that the polyweb has a thicker coating than the nanowebs. They are therefore not as bright. How less bright I can't tell you. The polywebs were the forerunners of the nanowebs, but I guess to cater to different tastes they kept making the polywebs.

I have gone through 3 sets of nanowebs and have since sworn them off. The reasons:

1)The coating starts fraying off after only a about a week. The area of the string where you pluck (the most critical area for keeping out body oils, food particles, dead skin) will be completely exposed after probably 2 or 3 weeks. Atleast on the B and E strings. Not as big a problem if you're a pick player.

2)The D and G strings just seemed to never lose there new string twang. As a result of this the set sounded very uneven after having been played awhile. When the B and E become thumpy, the D and G strings stand out in a really bad way.

Bottom line: I think coated strings work ALOT better for guitar strings than bass strings because the bigger the string, the faster the coating frays. Evidence for this: I had a set of nanowebs on a bass for about 8 months. The coating on the B and E strings had almost all come off while D and G string had yet to fray even a little. I like to noodle on the D and G strings alot so I know it's not from lack of play.

I have not tried the polywebs. If I ever did try Elixir again (doubtful) it would be these. All Ibanez come with Elixir nanowebs now.

Just my $.02

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Agreed.

I use Elixer Nanoweb strings exclusively on my acoustic guitar. I am totally sold on them as guitar strings. They last 10X as long as uncoated and sound great.

But I am more or less unimpressed with the bass strings. I think a good set of stainless strings actually last longer than Elixers on a bass. I get muc better life out of a set of SR2000s than a set of Elixers.

You are correct that the coating on Polywebs is thinner, but there is another difference I believe.

IIRC, polywebs are coated after the strings are manufactured, while with Nanowebs, the wrap is actually coated before it is wrapped around the core.

5. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm thinking of trying the polywebs. because I've hated every set of new strings I've tried until after a few weeks of playing them. I hate the bright sound, but after they start to "die" they sound better until they completely wear out. So I was wondering if the polywebs sound like that new, and then keep that sound for a while? I hate putting on new strings and having to put up with the bright tone for a week or so.

thanks for the help

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You can take any metal string and "kill it" a bit by squeezing it tightly in your hand and pulling the full length of the string through your palm a few times before putting it on.

7. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

You should definitely try some pressure-wounds. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

8. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    My Ibanez came with strings I really liked, but I was told they weren't elixirs because they had black nylon ends? Recently I looked in my Ibanes catalog and some of the elixir equipped basses have black nylon ends on the strings. Are these just the designation for the two different kinds of elixirs? And as Danham said the G string seems really twangy?

Does anyone know if these are polywebs or nanowebs?

9. Danham

Danham Guest

Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA

Ibanez come with nanowebs. Again, I urge you to try pressurewounds. GHS and Rotosound make them.