Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences in neck profiles. SR5 and G&L 5.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Aug 14, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was wanting to get the opinions of any TBers who may have had the chance to AB an SR5 and any G&L 5 regarding neck profiles. I know (at least I think) that they have similar nut widths and string spacing but I'm not sure about depth/profile. Any opinions on the subject are appreciated.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. If I remind well, the two were pretty similar in terms of width, thickness and feel. The most noticeable difference is that the G&L has a 35" scale length.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    35" really. wow...I always thought G&L 5s had 34" scale. Thanks for the reply.
    -Bazz-

4. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    G&L's are 34" scale. IME G&L necks are chunkier than Stingrays. It's the same string spacing but the Ray feels thinner and faster to me. YMMV.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    gotcha. I wonder if the Tribute necks are "bi cut" like the American G&Ls? Anyone?
    Bazz

6. Their stupid website doesn't have any mention of scale length. :mad: I always thought they were 35" (because I was told so by a friend who owns a L2500), now I'm not sure.

7. yea G&L's website and customer service suck!

But anyways, I think the SR5 and L2500 necks feel very similar.

8. if the l2500 had a 35 inch scale..........man, now that's a GAS attack