1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Differences in neck profiles. SR5 and G&L 5.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Aug 14, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was wanting to get the opinions of any TBers who may have had the chance to AB an SR5 and any G&L 5 regarding neck profiles. I know (at least I think) that they have similar nut widths and string spacing but I'm not sure about depth/profile. Any opinions on the subject are appreciated.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. If I remind well, the two were pretty similar in terms of width, thickness and feel. The most noticeable difference is that the G&L has a 35" scale length.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    35" really. wow...I always thought G&L 5s had 34" scale. Thanks for the reply.
    -Bazz-

4. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    G&L's are 34" scale. IME G&L necks are chunkier than Stingrays. It's the same string spacing but the Ray feels thinner and faster to me. YMMV.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    gotcha. I wonder if the Tribute necks are "bi cut" like the American G&Ls? Anyone?
    Bazz

6. Their stupid website doesn't have any mention of scale length. :mad: I always thought they were 35" (because I was told so by a friend who owns a L2500), now I'm not sure.

7. yea G&L's website and customer service suck!

But anyways, I think the SR5 and L2500 necks feel very similar.

8. if the l2500 had a 35 inch scale..........man, now that's a GAS attack