Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences in sound between Sadowsky and Mike Lull?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I have this question,why is the diference in sound between a Sadowsky and a Mike Lull?smooth,agressive,treby,punchy,etc,etc :confused:

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Sadowsky offers his one preamp ( well, I have a Tokyo with a Sadowsky Tokyo preamo which has a treble boost/cut, but that is discontinued )
    his preamp/ pickup combo is legendary especially around these parts.
    What i mean to say is, you buy a Sadowsky, you get the pre and pickups, with the option of the VTC ( the more i think about this, i believe single coil pickups are also an option )
    Mike Lulls come with your choice of pre and pickups. Duncans, DiMarzio's, Bartolini's, etc.. you can also choose your pre: Aguilar OPB1 and 3, Bartolini, etc.. you can also do custom stuff, like i was thinking of putting a J retro in one that I have coming.
    I love both basses. The Lulls have slightly narrower string spacing. Birdseye maple is standard when you order a maple board. Lulls usually sport a 3 band eq, which can add flexibilty. Sadowskys have a 2 band, but for a 2 band, i miss the mids less on the Sad than any other bass.
    I have sat recently and spent considerable time a-b'ing the Lull and the Sad - ( i have Lull here now )- the Metros and NYC have a smaller than full size body ( the Tokyo is full size )- Lulls seem to be about the same size as the Metros and NYC's. As far as tone, it depends on what you have on the Lull. There is a gain pot in the Bart pre in this Lull, once i turned it up to match the output of the Sad, it became a very close race and cannot decide a winner, honestly. I have a good friend that subs for me a lot and he came over and compared.. just today, i asked him, which did you like better? he could not decide, neither can i -
    there is a substancial difference in the price of a Lull and an NYC - a Metro and a Lull are in the same ballpark pricewise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Thir names.

OH NO, I JUST PLUGGED INTO ANOTHER SADOWSKI THREAD! :eek:

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've played a few of each, but previously owned a Lull P5 and currently own a Sadowsky P5.

I agree with all of Adrian's comments. I had to pay extra to get a birdseye fingerboard on my Sadowsky. The slightly narrower spacing of the Lull is one reason I sold it. The other reasons are nitpicky in comparison: one is that the Lull is 35" scale. I can play 35" with no problem, but it does have a slightly different sound... I prefer the traditional 34" tone.

The neck profile on the Lull was distinctly slimmer than Sadowsky. I guess I prefer the slightly chunkier Sadowsky profile, but not by much.

My Lull was passive. I will say that in passive mode, the Lull P5 and Sadowsky P5 don't sound all that different in the grand scheme of things. They both sound a bit more hi-fi than a vanilla Fender P-bass, but with the right tube pre they warm up just fine.

Build quality of both basses is top notch. I give a slight edge to the fretwork on the Sadowsky, but overall the Lull is a better value because it costs significantly less. I personally am happier with the Sadowsky for the reasons noted above, but really, it was a pretty close call.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks Adrian Garcia,you answer my question dam good :hyper: i make the question because i need a litle more money to spend in a high end bass,and now i go to SX for my back up bass and when Cristhmas come(nov thanksgiving) i have all the money ready for my main and high end bass,honestly i can,t choose one now,but i have to decide wich i buy in nov,Adrian and how this two compare with a Fender Custom Shop(i love the look of them) thanks Adrian,and Adrian,tu no tienes un empleo para mi en tu tienda? :D si me puedes ayudar en espa~nol gracias,mi ingles no es muy fluido como ves,gracias. :cool:

7. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    man get a fender, what you want one of those for?? to showoff to your grandmother when she visits? it just looks like a load of glue poured over a coffee table, i bet it sounds like a really horrible 80s ibanez or Aria bass, no soul man!

by the way if you do get one and decide to sell it off cheap, drop us a line mate :smug:

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have a very silly reason for not looking at Lulls .... silly silly silly. Its the headstock. I'm not usually bothered much by cosmetics ... but I just can't get down with it :(

I'm sure they're really nice basses.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I think the sound is more apparant in the 5 strings. The Lull's are 35'' scale and dont really too jazz bass to me.

Rob

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, same here. It looks like a budget guitar headstock or something. Like the really cheapo samick fender ripoffs or something. I'm sure they're really nice though

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i want a 4 strings,and traditional amazing Fender Jazz tone,thats all,if you want a Jazz clone you want this unique classical tone,and remember Fender Jazz Custom Shop,this basses call my atention :cool:

12. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I love Sadowsky. I have 3. If you are looking for a clone of a traditional jazz in tone I'm not sure if this is the right bass for u. The preamp gives the bass a unique tone, not quite a traditional jazz but close. I had a Lull artist deal for a while but all the basses I had were 5 strings. Good luck

Rob

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Is the shape of the headstock (or the lack of a rounded ball or egg tooth at the end of the thing) really that big of a deal that would prevent you from owning and playing a perfectly excellent bass? I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but am genuinely interested...it's not that you're watching or looking at the tip of the headstock while you're playing...right?

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Well if you're paying that much for a bass, not buying it based off of cosmetics seems perfectly valid to me. Why settle for less in any way shape or form?

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't disagree with that at all...I'm just wondering if the shape of the tip of the headstock would be a big-enough issue to be a deal-breaker. Obviously a lot of people don't feel this way, as Mike is as busy as he's ever been. I'm just curious as to how many people might be on the other side of the issue and feel that it would be significant enough.

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    For me, if it was REALLY bad (by no means like lulls or do I feel that way about lulls), it might. Spending over a grand for a bass should yield desired aesthetics along with sound and playabilty. Its being picky for sure, but who's to say that is bad ;)

By the way, I thought both basses feel really nice playing wise. Not that much of a trad jazz fan, but they both sounded pretty sweet. Very minor factors seperating them for me. And none making me feel one was hand down better.

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I guess then it boils down to wether or not another more visually appealing bass has the same sounds that you're after. If so, great, but if not, then suck it up, ya know? But at that price point, I think it could a be deal breaker.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The only complaint I ever got regading Lull's when I was a dealer was about the headstock shape.

Other than that, I never heard a peep about a single one I sold...flawless in build quality!

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I've seen headstock shapes I like MuCH worse than Lulls. (I honestly don't think the Lull headstock shape is that bad)

I personally hate the Elrick slab style headstock. Looks like a cheese slicing block to me. Talk about vanilla, pedestrian and boring, not to mention way off-base from their otherwise cool body shapes.

I think Lulls are just fine.

20. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I think the Lull headstock is just fine

Rob