Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences in sound between Soapbars and Jazz Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mz91, Oct 30, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Im sorry if the answer to this question is really obvious. I just wanted to know the primary differences between sound with these two types of pickups. The reason is this: I am buying a Modulus Genesis 5. And i am not sure if i should buy the Soapbars or the one with Jazz pickups. I will post pictures of the two basses and soon as i get them. Any info on the difference in sound between the two would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Greetings.
    Michael

2. mz91, your question is valid.

I know that both are single coil pickups but they look and sound different.

The jazz pickups sound more vintage then the soapbars, they are brighter.

You would be better at telling me how they sound if you played both and then made a choice that fits you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    So the Soapbars are brighter?
    Well, Treena i am in contact with the modulus dealer here in switzerland and i havent seen the basses yet. He has yet to send me pictures. I have just talked on the phone with him.
    If the soapbars are brighter i am not to sure thats the way i want to go. I have a Modulus Quantum 6 SS right now. And that bass is bright already. I wanted a bass that could cover all the the things that my bass now cannot. Wanted to buy two basses that could "Do it all" so to speak :p

[​IMG]

Michael

4. Michael, let me clarify.......the jazz pickups are brighter then the soapbar pickups.

The soapbars are rounder, fuller sounding to my ears.

Sorry if I confused you.

That's a nice bass and acoustic you have and I see what you are trying to do.

Cover your "basses"

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Oh okay,
    Thanks alot Treena, then i guess that Soapbars would be the way to go :D . And thanks for the compliment! I love that Bass!!!!
    Michael
    Ps: Thanks for the special smilies. I always wait to see what smily comes next. Great Idea!

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I also posted in the basses thread, but I'll weigh in here as well. IME, the Jazz PUPs give some growl you can't get out of soap bars. That might give you a little more tonal variety.

7. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm pretty sure all Bartolini soapbars except the very narrow ones are dual coil humbuckers.

8. What is the difference between P/J/Soapbar style pickups?

These are the designations concerning the housing that the pickup is in. A P-style pickup refers to the pickups that are in the same shape as those in the Fender Precision Bass. A P-style pickup is a humbucker, with one coil underneath the E and A strings, and the other coil under the D and G strings. A J-style pickup refers to the same shape as the pickups in a Fender Jazz Bass. This is the classic single coil shape. J-style pickups can be humbuckers, if they are wired with two coils in the single pickup housing. Some have the two coils next to each other, similar to a P-Style, while others have stacked coils, with one coil on top of the other. Finally, a soapbar pickup refers to any rectangular shape. Soapbars can have any number of coils or coil designs within them.

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I guess most soapbars are dual coil. The difference between single and dual coils according to my observations is that singlecoils produce more lows and highs while dualcoils have more emphasis on the mids. Singlecoils are open and airy while dualcoils sound darker (at least when the coils are wired in series). Singlecoils growl and dualcoils bark.

Do I make any sense?

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Actually there are many configurations for soapbars:

1) Dual Coil
    2) Triple Coil (Phantom coil inside, 6 Conductors)
    3) Quad Coil (Wired as dual coils or 8 separate conductors to allow P/reverseP/Series/Parallel/blah blah...)
    4) Normal P.
    I believe there is even a Single coil version,