Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Differences of SVTs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Broncrider32, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    Can some one tell me how much difference in tone there is when comparing the Ampeg Classic, SVT, SVT II, SVT III, SVT IV. What are some of the differences.

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    That question is really, really tough to answer.

You would have to play all of them through the same head and with the same bass in order to be able to tell. But if you do, let me know!

3. Broncrider32

Broncrider32

Feb 21, 2003
    Nebraska
    LOL OK, I was just wondering if there is a big difference between them.

4. I don't know how many new Ampegs you've played, bu from my experience, they all have the same basic sound. the big differences in the models you mentioned is that the SVT Classic and SVT II Pro are all tube, and the SVT II and IV pro have a solid state power amp. they al sound similar, but the Classic and the II Pro, sound pretty much exactly the same. Their both 300 watts, and have a really warm tube-like sound. I've never tried a IV Pro but I'm assuming it sounds almost exactly like the III Pro, only much much louder. the solid state power amp gives the the II and IV Pro a bit tighter, not quite as warm sound. But the bottom line is that they all sound like Ampegs.