1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Differences: various humbucker types

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vincicinci, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Hello everyone!
    Can you explain the diffences in properties between the various types of humbuckers? For example splitcoil (P-Bass), coils on top of each other (J-Bass-y), coils next to each other (MM), coils in row (Ovation Magnum bridge pu) and a coil for each string (Ovation Magnum neck pu). Are there any more?
    Thanks in advance,
    All the best,

Vincent

2. Bump!?

3. @joeyl: Thanks, that one definately helped!

Does anybody have knowledge about how the the Ovation Magnum neck pickup can be compared to the common ones, in that way? It looks like this: ... (I hope, at this point an image will appear...)
    Thanks,

Vincent

Attached Files:

4. the 2 coil humbucking is a bit like a P pickup but in one straight line instead of staggered.

the 4 coil is the same concept but with one coil for sensing each string, and I believe the purple screws are here to change the resistance of each coil for different sound or output, but I have never seen these before

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    The Magnum 4 coil neck P/up has a gain control for each string , yes, but its only to balance output across all 4 strings. The tone is unaltered