Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ilfretless, Mar 28, 2001.

1. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    I'm playing bass from not a lot and I have no idea of what are the realdiffernces between strings, can tou tell me about them?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your profile mentions Steve Harris as your only influence. If that's what you're after, I think he uses Rotosound roundwounds, (Swing 66's). DR Hi-Beams (these are roundwounds, too) will also get you there.
  3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Actually, Steve Harris uses signature Rotosound Flatwounds believe it or not!
  4. rickbass

rs - I definitely believe it. I guess it depends on which period one refers to. He said he originally used Roto rounds, but switched to Roto Jazz Bass flats later, because the rounds chewed up his fingers.

Of course, if one REALLY wants his sound there's a little matter of getting a Precision rodded and modded like his beloved "Blue One," 8 custom Marshalls, and.... :rolleyes:
  5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Yeah rickbass1, when I found out he uses flats, I freaked. A lot of treble boost I suppose. Rotosound flats are supposedly pretty bright for flats but I've never used any brand of flats. So rickbass1, are you still liking the Fat Beams?
  6. rickbass

Big time. Except for the Rick 4001, they're all I use now.

I used to have to switch between my Carvin strung with rounds and my Precis strung with flats. No more. They aren't as smooth sounding as flats, if no other instruments/singers are performing, (which is practically never), but they don't have the "zing" of rounds if I just tweak my Carvin's blend control or pop out the "High" shift button on my amps.

(I wonder if Marcus actually made the change???)