1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Differenence Between Badass Grooved/Ungrooved Bridges

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RapierSix, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Hey guys!

I am wondering what is the difference between Leo Quan's Badass bridges in the grooved and ungrooved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which one would give more sustain?
    Would notes bend with ungrooved, and would the strings eventually wear a groove into the bridge?

What are the pros and cons of each one?

2. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    You have to get the ungrooved saddles filed down "professionally" (says the advertisement). The ungrooved ones are supposed to bring out more of the instruments natural wood sound. I would but the grooved one anyways, because its seems like an easy thing to screw up.

3. Well, one is more of a pain in the ass to install.

4. Hahahahahah +1

5. what would happen if I were to leave it groove less tone wise?

6. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    umm... intonation would suck until the strings make their own grooves...

seriously though.. youre going to want to put grooves... if you dont have files... you might as well spend the extra money on the one with grooves.

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Tone wise there is no difference. For realz.

8. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i would like to add "between stock bridge and badass" to the end of the first sentence :bag:

9. I thought the badasses give more sustain?

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    That's the claim, though I don't believe it. I think all it does is add weight.

11. badasses are so popular that they show up in the pickup and electronics section also ;)

They are good bridges, but not more so than the MIA Fender bridge, Hipshot or Gotoh, I like them just because it has the balls to have badass engraved on it. I personally prefer the Hipshot vintage bent plate as Fender stock replacement.

12. zero2492

zero2492

Mar 15, 2008
    I would guess it would raise your action... and if you use flatwounds the string might simply slip off the saddles.

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I accidentally bought an un-grooved one to stick on a Jazz bass. What a pain in my backside that was...

14. The reason they offer the unslotted ones is so they can be cut for an exact string spacing. I bought a Badass V and slotted it myself. The saddles are aluminum and very easy to cut. You just have to be able to put the grooves exactly where you want them :) If you're not cutting into an expensive bridge, buy the slotted one!!

I used my milling machine to put the grooves on exactly 19mm spacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I have to say that I totally dislike the idea that you have to create your own saddle grooves with the Badass. If you happen to leave a burr on the saddle, you'll break strings a lot.

16. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I used the corner of a file to put grooves reasonably close to the middle of each saddle. Or I might have used a steak knife, I forget. Either way it was my usual super-professional type of job. Still better than the stock Fender bridge that lost height on the saddles and I had to raise them after every song.

17. I just want to know what a thread about badass bridges is doing in the pickups & electronics forum...

18. Well is their a bridge, tuners, and inlays or other parts forum?

I put it here because the bridge is at least in the relative area of pickups and electronics...

19. "bridge talk" generally can be found under "setup and repair"...

I think if you throw in something about connecting a ground wire to your bridge, we might let you slide ;)

THIS time :scowl:

:p

20. I really don't see that happening. The saddles are soft aluminum. Pulling the string over the saddle would probably knock off any burr that might be left but.......deburring the slot is part of the job :)

On the BA V, I'm guessing, you could set the spacing from 17mm to 21mm. You want the strings to end up over the pickup pole pieces and be spaced evenly across the neck. For the precise setup of an aftermarket bridge, IMHO, cutting the saddles is the only way to go.

And yes!! Be sure to remove the finish from the back of the bridge plate where the ground wire attaches!!. I like to put a spot of sheilding tape under the ground lead for maximum contact with the bridge.