1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Different" action on vintage instruments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Sep 9, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm very fortunate to have owned a nice assortment of basses, and I've had a chance to use a bunch more on loan or otherwise.

One thing I've noticed that I was curious about is that I find vintage-style instruments to have "different" action than some of the more modern instruments I've used. All of these instruments are really nice, and I can't say that any of them play badly at all, but I generally have preferred the action of "modern" instruments - by that I mean I was able to get lower action without buzz and it's is easier for me to play.

Obviously setup, etc. have a lot to do with, so I'm limiting my comments only to basses I've actually owned and adjusted (or had professionally adjusted).

To illustrate my point, here are instruments that I found to have action that I liked:

* Pedulla Rapture J2
    * Modulus VJ and Flea
    * Zon Sonus

And here are some instruments on which I couldn't ever really get action I was really happy with.

* Fender Deluxe J, FMT
    * Mike Lull VJ4
    * Sadowsky VJ4 :bag:

Interestingly, I've always been happy with the action on Stingrays (is that vintage?) Is it vintage J's I have trouble with?

Any comments? Any similar experiences or insights?

2. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I had a 71 Fender jazz that was setup real low and played not too far off from my R bass. It was awesome.

And i have played Sadowskys that get right up on the frets. So I beleive its more of an issue of setup than anything else. I notice the vintage instruments usually have a more bulky body, but that is about it.