Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Different Adjustable Bridge concept

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  2. I like it.
    One might have a closer look at the upper "saddle" member and how it is joined to the wedges. Likewise for the lower joints. They appear guided by rabbets. I'd watch out for vulnerablility from tippling apart if knocked. It looks like you might get about a 10mm adjustment range from it. The pictured bridge appears heftily proportioned. I'm curious about the web between the legs. Why?
    I think much of the success of this item would depend on how good the fit and tolerances are and how well the quality is maintained, good materials, and installation.
    Please let us know what you think Bob.

3. wup. It's because the crotch is thinned so much by the wheel clearance.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is this guy reinventing the wheel or what?

:D

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    A wing pick-up still works ? :rolleyes:

6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    That buttress between bridge legs will do more to kill sound than a sandbag placed on the bass' top.

7. I don't know about a sandbag, but it is a safe bet that isn't going to help the sound.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Granted it isn't the most informative website I have seen, but I am having a difficult time visualing how it actually works.

9. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but... basically the bridge is made of 4 wood members. There is the top member that the strings rest on, then the bottom member that include the bridge feet. Between these are 2 wedges. The wedges move in or out, raising or lowering the strings respectively.
    Notice the photos on the website. The larger photo depicts the bridge with the wedges pulled together while the the wedges are spread apart in the smaller photo.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In my most convincing Arnold Horshack voice: "Oww, Oww Kaaeyy."

I can see the seams now that I know what to look for.

If it is equally effective as far a tone goes as the other (two adjuster) I like it better. It appears faster, easier and less likely to get crooked.

11. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    This disassembled photo may help. Interesting concept, though there are lots of pieces and joints. The feet are separate, screwed to the legs.

[​IMG]

12. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well...
    that's some pretty lame bridge wood.

13. Bob - If you have a gram scale, I'd appreciate knowing how much this bridge weighs.

14. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    184g uncut, as shown.

15. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Have we got a ballpark cost?

16. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I believe he said $129 list when I spoke to him on the phone.

17. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    different as in bad, right?

18. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    No

19. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like the wedges move in or out without independence of each other. How do you raise one side and not the other? It appears you have to remove the bridge to get at the set-screws for the feet.

20. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    You cannot change the angle of the top, both sides come up and go down evenly. The feet screws are only accessible from the bottom.

The maker (called me today) says the volume is good, and players have reported an improvement over other adjustable bridges. I haven't yet had the time to fit mine to my bass, so I have no opinion at this time. It is crafted very well.