different bass, different neck-feel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Berten, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    I went to a local shop today and played 2 ibanez-basses: an SRX and a BTB (both 5stingers).

The necks of these basses feel different than my bass, so I wass wondering: you people with a lot of basses: do they all have the same neckfeel or do you get used to a different neck?
    And if you buy a new bass, with a different neck, is it easy to learn to play on the new neck??

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't particularly notice it - must be too busy trying to play the right notes at the right times ;)

However, each of my basses does have a different feel. Rather than fighting it, I try to adapt to each one - if I use different approaches and get a range of sounds from each bass, then that's what makes it worthwhile having more than one...

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You just get used to a different neck. In general, it seems like the more different basses you play and spend time with, the less any particular change makes to you, because you get used to a thicker or thinner neck, more or less strings, longer or shorter scale lengths, different string spacing, and so forth.

That's not to say that some necks won't always feel more comfortable than others to you, but you're not going to get thrown so much just because they're different from what you normally play.

4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My Jaco neck feels thinner than my P-Bass neck, but I didn't notice this at first, its easy to adjust, except sometimes when I play my KSD for a few hours straight then go back to the Jaco fretless, it takes me a few minutes to readjust.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I prefer a fatter neck like my Stingray, but I also love jazz necks on my Soundgears. I play both in a given day so the difference hardly bothers me. All I know is that if it has four strings I can play it without a problem...a fiver with a low B is alright, but if you have a five string with a high C, I get really confused. :p